• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

connecting laptop to desktop

Started by 87transam, March 02, 2003, 20:29 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

87transam

Hello everyone.  Im not sure if this is the right place to post this...so here goes.  I have a Dell 600MHz Demension desktop.  I also recently aquired a IBM Thinkpad 380XD...which some of you might know just got windows 98 installed on it.  
I had the laptop up at school for awhile, and I have alot of files on it.  I really need some of those files on my desktop.  Unfortunetly, they are too big and too many for that matter for floppies.  Both computers have ethernet cards and are set up to be on a LAN.  
Here is what I tried...sorry this is so long..just try to stick with me.  There is something in windows called Direct Cable Connection.  I went and bought a parallel cable, and hooked it between the two computers.  After setting up the direct cable connection wizard, it keeps telling me there is no communication between the computers.  
I also tried to hook the ethernet cable between the two computers, and go through the network neighborhood....but neither computer can find the other.  
Am I missing something?  Could there be something messed up with the laptop?  Both computers connect to my LAN at school with no problem.  Im no longer at school though...so using that is out of the question.  ANY help would be awsome.  You guys were a huge help in switching my OS on the laptop, so I hope someone has an idea here.  Thanks alot in advance!!

Justin

dcsun

As long as the network cards in both systems are working, it should be pretty easy to connect the two via a network cable.  If you don't have a hub, you'll need to get a cross-wired cable, which may have been your problem before.  Once you get them connected, go into the network properties and add the NetBEUI protocol to both systems, give them both names, and you should be good to go :).

87transam

AH...I kinda thought maybe my cables were wrong.  I have a cable that goes into a wall socket for LAN.  So now I see what you mean.  I need one that essentially as the wires in the same position on both ends.  Im gonna try that as soon as I make it out to a store.  Is there anything I need to know about setting up the network?  Both computers already have names and all that.  So should I be good to go?  Thanks for the help!  Anymore help is more than welcomed!

Justin

87transam

Hey thanks alot for that advice. I went out and bought a cross over cable...which was less expensive than the parallel cable...nice surprise.  Works great!!!  Didnt have to set up anything.  I already had short cuts to both computers on both desktops from when I had them on the LAN at school.  Just clicked it and viola!!  Thanks again.  

Justin

dcsun

No prob :).  Glad you got it all sorted out.  If you ever add another computer, you'll need a hub, but you should still be able to use your cross-over cable in the uplink port on the hub.