• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Big Vaio Problem

Started by Airdog, July 21, 2003, 18:08 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Airdog

Hello, I recently purchased a laptop off of somebody (Sony Vaio PCG-FX340) and about a 3 weeks into the purchase I ran into a major problem.

The computer froze and displayed a couple of vertical lines in the LCD screen. Upon trying to reboot the system it would turn on, and basically do nothing. I cannot access the BIOS or anything. The light turns on, I get a very small noise from the HD and nothing further.

The weird thing is that one day I went to turn it on again and it worked, and then a few hours after using it it did the same lock up routine and it hasn't recovered from it yet.

My virus program (McAffee Online) was fully updated so it definitely couldn't have been that.

I've opened up the system, and I noticed that the fan spins on the initial few seconds and then shuts off immediately.  One thing that I've thought is maybe the system thinks it's in sleep mode and puts itself asleep immediately.  I've looked at the cables and it looks like they're going on right.  

Does anybody have some suggestions as to what the heck is going on? I don't want an expensive paperweight!

query

Reseat the battery, memory module(s) and any PCMCIA or PCI cards in the system.  If that doesn't work, chances are you need a Sony repair shop.

trav

Welcome to Poasters, hope you enjoy it here!
CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR

Airdog

Thanks a lot for the immediate answer to my question - I'll try it out.

Airdog

Just wanted to let you guys know that the solution that you provided worked right away - thanks a lot.