• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Need Advice on Opening up TS-30i314

Started by DrGrafix, March 29, 2002, 18:17 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGrafix

Hey Guys...

I need to do a little "minor surgery" on this Quantex.  I don't have an owners manual or repair manual and the repair docs that I have seen only show some exploded views and they are so small in size you can't tell what's going on... or coming off next!  I need to take my case cover(s) off so I can get access to audio-out jack that is under the PCMCIA port on the lefthand side.

Can anyone give me a genral step-by-step procedure on getting the bottom half of the case separated from the top or vice-versa?  I gather the keyboard is somehow removeable, and maybe that figures into it.  I have removed the battery (easy), HDD (easy), and pretty much all the exposed screws that can be seen from the bottom with those components out.  I can't quite figure out how to remove the combo DVD/CD/Floppy unit... I try to slide the lock all the way over, and it doesn't go the last eighth of an inch.  Don't want to force anything... so some help would be great.

I have pretty good electronic skills, have built prototype PCBs and fixed numerous motherboards that have had bad resistors and such... have my Weller WTCP2 adjustable needle-type soldering station, head-scope and miniature tools... so I'm comfortable with my ability to not screw it up... but I just need a little road map and I don't want to bust anything 'cause it's working fine.

I should mention that my disassembly to this point (few hours later)was to remove the keyboard, the shield underneath it, and the display.  Still haven't figured out what actually lets you remove the shielding over the PCMCIA section.  Using a dental mirror, I can see inside the doors a bit... and I think if I get the sheild off, I'm home free with regard to getting at the audio jack.  The Dell Inspiron repair manuals are somewhat clearer than the Quantex ones (PDF), but again... they assume a lot.

I appreciate your help.

Mike

- Share your fish dinner with a stranger and you've fed him for a day... but teach him how to fish and you've fed him for a lifetime! -

Edited by - DrGrafix on Mar 30 2002  04:03:25 AM
- Share your fish dinner with a stranger and you've fed him for a day... but teach him how to fish and you've fed him for a lifetime! -