• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Poasters Reality Check

Started by scuzzy, October 24, 2008, 14:37 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

Hi Folks,

Behind the scenes, Pat and I have been discussing the state of Poasters. It's obvious that things have slowed a lot over the last year, and we have considered "turning the lights off". Our current contract expires in the near future and we have not taken steps to renew. I'm not entirely sure that we will, but we don't really want to close the doors either. Of course, running Poasters is not free. Pat and I pay for this endeavor out of our own pockets, and we have no desire to offset costs with advertising.

We don't blame anyone other than ourselves for the drop in interest. I don't participate near as much as I should, especially considering that I'm an administrator. But reality is that on most days I don't have the time to check my watch to see what time it is. We also know that everyone is busy with life overall, and Poasters is an occasional distraction for most.

Regardless, Pat and I are open to your input and we're willing to consider any improvements. We can add/remove/edit any forums, as well as our overall format, etc. All ideas are welcome, so long as Poasters maintains its "family friendly" atmosphere.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

scuzzy

As an afterthought... we are not soliciting donations from our members. We are only requesting ideas for making Poasters a better place for you. If you like Poasters just as it is and you have no desire to see any changes, then please us know.

Would you like to have a forum(s) added?

Should we remove or combine other forums?

Would you like to see a change in overall format?

Should we remove, add or change restrictions?

Would you like to see the administrators hung by their toes and slapped with African fly swatters?
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Bill

I, for one, would be very sad to see this go away.  Friendly helpful info and an occasional laugh.  Can't think of anything needing improvement.

Although our 'laugh master' has been on vacation of late.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

halokid

Poasters has been here from the beginning of my
computer fixing/building experience, I would hate to see it go  :'(
The site itself I dont think could be improved upon all that much, however
noticing the stats, I see that many of the top "topic starters" and "most poasts" are absent and/or less frequent. Well for whatever reason, from inactivity etc, (not to mention the world changing around us), We need to aquire more poasters and the best fishing spot i would imagine would be the desktop help forum. Lately ive'e seen more 0's on replies than usual in the desktop help forum, and to replenish our numbers we need to gain the loyalty of new-comers to the site. So in a way , this is a calling to all able body members...Now I myself am not the most knowledgeable poaster by far in the area of computers, but i will try to help out.

This is just my two cents

scuzzy

Good observations, halokid.

We depend on helpful volunteers to provide support as needed, and many have gone above and beyond in helping others. It can certainly be difficult at times to lend a hand, but then again that's what this site is all about. Fortunately, we still have a few who tirelessly help out when they can.

pat

Thanks to the replies so far.

I'm not really in a hurry to close the place down. I do however wonder about the long term viability of the place if we continue at our present pace.

As mentioned the costs are not that great, but still, one does like to see monies spent put to some use. That said, cost alone would not be a factor or at least the sole factor of the continuation of Poasters.

I guess I just wonder if we've ran our course, provided a service or outlet for discussion that's just not needed anymore? I've seen a lot of folks come and go over the years. But through it all, I think we've been pretty fair and maintained a respectful attitude with each other. That is one of the things I've always liked about this place. Poasters has been a constant in a lot of our lives and I would surely miss it if it were gone.

That is why we have put it to all our members to decide what to do here.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Llhweiir

As Halokid, Poasters has been here for me as well whenever I needed input when it came to computer fixing. Poasters must not be allowed to "die"! Many times fellow poasters have solved the problems so called "professional support" as failed to solve, and for that I salute you!

Halokid also pointed out that the most important forum for attracting more members is the desktop help forum, and I find myself in complete agreement to that - so that is where we need to put our attention... That said, I can only regret that my computer-knowledge doesn't allow me to help out as much as I would like to...

scuzzy

I want to thank those of you who replied to this thread. It was helpful. Some of you who did not reply to this thread also helped, simply by your replies to help others with their computer questions.

We will keep Poasters open for the foreseeable future, and we are grateful to all of you who have made this place possible.

The biggest reason to keep going is because we know that Ace is lurking. As much as he contributed to this forum with his musings and rants, he has earned the right to lurk for years to come. We owe him at least that much.

Ace

I am not lurking. I am nowhere near here.
I am watching TV, right now.  The Bears.  They're losing.  I wouldn't know that, if I wasn't watching. Meaning: I'm not here, lurking or otherwise.

Not Ace; not here. Not lurking.
Ring bells for service.