• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

The New Addiction

Started by Whizbang, December 23, 2007, 19:31 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizbang

I am skeptical of passing laws that offenders will not obey anyway and that have no effect on non-offenders.  I do suspect that cell phone laws are going to start popping up everywhere though.  I tried on two different occasions to place semi-important calls while driving on very remote stretches of open highway.  On both occasions, I was immediately aware of the fact that at least 50% of my concentration was distracted.  On the one occasion, I gave up before even finishing punching in the number.  On the other, I made it quick, and came to the conclusion that I would be a complete fool to attempt doing it again.  On more than one occasion, I have had to swerve to avoid some idiot who is talking about some inane matter (When it comes to my life in question, every cell phone conversation is inane) on his cell phone.  A lady at work had a wheel problem on her car while out driving, pulled over, and called a relative to see if he could help her.  While he was working on her car, the lady saw a van coming toward her car on the wrong side of the road and yelled for the relative to get out of the way.  He did, just before the van plowed into the side of the car right where the relative had been lying on the ground.  She called the police only to find that the one who came was a good friend ot the offending female driver, who jokingly admitted to be talking on her cell phone.  The incompetent cop did not write up his offending lady friend for the obvious violation of the law of common sense.  My lady friend called in the accident to her insurance company which filed grievance charges against the violator's insurance.  When my friend started explaining what had happened, she was cut off because the agent said that most of the reported accidents are due to at least one of the participants being distracted by cell phones.  If that had been a bottle of hooch pressed to the lady's lips, she could have been facing serious jail time.

Mark H

It is just another example of people putting "me" before everyone else. To talk on a cell phone while driving is putting your communcation and interest before the safety of other drivers.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

scuzzy

I'm against laws that specifically target cell phone usage on the road. Although I'm first to agree that cell phones and driving don't mix, I'm also first to agree that making pancakes and driving don't mix either. Yet I don't see anyone rushing out to pass laws against making pancakes while driving down the interstate.

Besides, we already have laws that prohibit anything that distracts one's driving abilities. In Colorado, it's called Careless Driving.

I also see things from a different perspective. I drive a patrol car that has an onboard computer that's connected to the Internet as well as our dispatch server. While driving down the road, I have to use the computer, operate the lights and siren, operate the main radio while listening to alternate radio traffic on my hand held unit (which has a tactical earpiece hooked to my left ear). I also use my cell phone with the bluetooth earpiece in my right ear. I have, plenty of times, run down the road at extreme speeds with all the above equipment running all at once, while driving with my knees as I try to finish a sandwich. Yes, really. I'm not kidding.

By the way, we do not normally place DUI offenders in jail even if they were involved in an accident. We normally just serve and release them due to overcrowded jails.

Click the photo for the full picture: (1024x768, 60k)

Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

I agree with Scuzzy's assessment that he shouldn't be allowed to drive with all those distractions.  Geez Louise, computer-gas pedal-steering wheel-Sirius radio-his IPod-bluetooth-coffee cup-visor donut holder-cell phone/police radio/scanner/drive thru speaker-soup-sandwich-KFC bucket-soft drink-shaver-eyeliner-lipstick-nose strip-mouthguard-helmet-brake pedal-knee pads...  I'm amazed he's able to get the window rolled halfway down at the drive-in, with all that going on. 

I'd also agree that once we ban pancakes in motor vehicles, what next..??!  Frying bacon?  Roast turkey? What about all the microwave items we'd have to warm up at home?  Shoot; they've got those DVD players now.  So what's wrong with bowling a game or two or playing Wii tennis while cruising?  Or running a few Madden plays while you're sitting at a red light.  And maybe the green, for awhile, just to see if you scored. Somebody would probably get all shook up just because they see you decanting a wine while driving with your elbow... like it's any of their business.  Even using a desktop computer shouldn't be that big a deal, if you can still drive from the backseat.  I know people who are pretty good at that.

Ace; I was rollin' down the street in my big Caddilac I had girls in the front I had girls in the back and then way in the back I had money in a sack both hands on the wheel and my shoulders right back.. ripdipdipdipdipde doodawh. 
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Must be hard, under those circumstances, to justify a careless driving ticket!

BTW, happy birthday.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit