• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

How can I "DELETE" MS Messenger

Started by Bubba, March 31, 2003, 22:47 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba

OK,,,,,, I installed XP a while ago and I think it is GREAT !!! But, ever since that installation, I have this stupid MS Messenger popping up all the time,,, I do not want it, like it, or need it,,, can I just delete the Messenger folder in program files, or is there  secret way to disable it  ?  I have never signed in, but I get all these stupid incoming messages,,,, under options, I unchecked the box that says to start Messenger at start up,,,, but somehow it is still running in the background,,,, ARGHHHHH !
Like Grandpa used to say, "maybe there ain't nothin' wrong, but, somethin' aint' right."

John

Bubba, I lost my reference file for this but in the meantime try this go to "C:\Program Files\Messenger" and rename it to "Messenger.Off" or something similar
Restart.

Cogito Ergo Sum

pat

You can download Doug Knox's utility to remove it from your system.
http://www.dougknox.com/
Look under XP utilities.....Dissable/remove messenger.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Bubba

Thanks guys,,,,,,, I will try one or both of the suggestions,,,,,if I delete it completely, will I ever miss it ?
Like Grandpa used to say, "maybe there ain't nothin' wrong, but, somethin' aint' right."

pat

I deleted it and have never missed it, you can always add it back later if you need or want to.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

DSwain

There's one other way too- if you use MSN messenger, and just want to get rid of those windows, right click my computer, then manage, then services and applications, then services. Under that menu, is something called messenger. You open that, set it to manual, and stop the service. That will stop messages from coming up, but MSN is still very usable. Even though you probably won't use this, somebody else may want to know, and they can have reference.
AMD Athlon XP 2000+
WD 60GB HDD
Maxtor 8GB HDD
512MB DDR PC2100
16x DVD ROM
40x Writer
WinXPPro

lucubration

How to completely remove windows messenger:
To uninstall it:

1. Click on the Start button and select Run.
2. Type:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

in the text box and click OK. You will see a progress bar appear shortly as it deletes its files and it will then ask you to reboot. After the reboot the program will be gone.