• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

2 - Windows XP questions

Started by dtucker16, January 03, 2003, 16:29 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

dtucker16

My first question is this.  I don't have a screensaver on (I put it on 'none') and my power options properties are:

Turn off monitor: After 20 mins
Turn off hard disks: never
System standby: never

Anyways if I don't touch my computer for about 5 or 10 mins it goes to the screen where you select the user.  Now I really don't want it to do that.  I don't want a screen saver or the computer to shut down or for it to go to the user selection screen if I don't touch the computer for a while.  If I don't touch my computer for a while I just want it to sit there and not do anything.  So how can I do that?  I can't even watch a movie on my dvd player, it keeps going to the user selection screen so I have to keep moving the mouse or keep pressing a key on the keyboard while the movie is playing.

Also I have an M70 Hewlett Packard monitor.  Now I upgraded my computer so I no longer have an HP tower but I kept my monitor.  Anyways it has a built in microphone that WAS working before I upgraded my computer.  I noticed that in the Display Properties where you change your resolution it just said "Plug and Play monitor on NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX440" so I upgraded the driver for the monitor.  I figured since Windows thinks it's a generic monitor maybe that's why the microphone isn't working.  Anyways after the driver update my microphone doesn't work still.  It does recognize the name and make of my monitor though.  Is there any way to get the microphone working?  

query

Check your CMOS setup for power management there.   If you have a setup in there, it may override Windows power management - turn it off to see what happens.

How is the monitor connected to the PC?  If it has a separate cable, it should be useable.  If it was wired into the video connector on the HP, it probably won't work with anything other than the system with which it came.