• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

12 bit FAT

Started by whamb, March 19, 2005, 22:29 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

whamb

Has anybody heard of a 12 bit FAT??While trying to diagnose problems with a Smart Media digital camera card I happened to try a "defragment" on the card drive..The computer returned a message that it could not defrag the drive because it has a 12 bit FAT!!..If I can find software to format a drive with 12 bit FAT I may be able to reclaim these cmera cards..If perchance I am in the wrong forum please direct me accordingly..I have come here because of the broadbase of intelligent knowledge on this board..Thanking all in advance..Alan

Neon

FAT12 is commonly used for floppy disks, and many compact flash cards.

By default, Windows XP will format a compact flash card with  32MB or greater capacity as FAT32 format. Most digital cameras use either FAT16 or FAT12 format and can not operate with a FAT32 formatted card.

The safest route is to format the card in your camera.

However, you should be able to just format the card from within Windows XP, if you select FAT file system to format the card, since legacy support for FAT12 is built in.
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

whamb

Neon,
Many thanks for your reply..You are absolutely right that the safest way to reformat is in the camera..However, the camera will not recognize the card and therefore will not format it..Hence the "problem"..I had looked for a 12 bit FAT format in my copy of "XP" but did not find it..I have not knowingly tried to format the card in 16 bit FAT..I'll have to try and let you know at a later date..Thanks again..
Alan

Whizbang

I have looked quite a bit for 12 bit fat software, but so far to no avail.  It seems that the problem is that manufacturers have not reached a consensus on image standards and do not appear to be interested in standardizing.  I find that rather odd, but will keep looking.  After all, someone had to format the cards in the first place.

I also had a card that became unusable, and I suspected the problem was just the filing system had been corrupted.  I could find no way to fix, but my interest is now prodded again.

whamb

Whizbang,
I am glad to hear that I am not alone with this problem..During a series of internet exchanges with Sandisk, the manufacturer of the two cards of mine with the problem, the person advised me that the formating of their cards was "Proprietary"..He also alluded that Sandisk would make good on the cards if I had the purchase information..(Something that I no longer have)..sounds like a cop out to me..
FYI..It appears that my grandaughter reformated these cards using the computer instead of the camera..I would suppose that the computer in formating them set up either a 16 bit or 32 bit FAT, consequently the camera will no longer recognize the cards ("Card error")..Neon (I think) advised that "XP" was capable of 12 bit formating..I have tried using my computer with "XP" on it but it will only format with "FAT"..No choice of 12, 16, or 32 bit..O Well.....Back to the drawing board..And many thanks..
Alan

Whizbang

The computer would automatically default to the size of the memory card.  You would have no control of that.  Since you are wiped out anyway, it would be worth a shot.

I purchase my flash memory cards from OEMPCWorld.  They guarantee for life, and are very cheap.  You also can return old usable memory for upgrade and credit.  They sell the returned memory at trade fairs.

OEMPCWorld