• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Fast and Courteous RMA's Anyone?

Started by Whizbang, April 18, 2007, 21:43 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizbang

I have been waiting for about one week to hear from Mushkin on my RMA request.  I received an immediate automated acknowledgment, but everything since has been a dud.  I emailed them twice and tried calling them only to get that the "extension was not available at his time."  I would not be so insistent if the site had not said that they would reply within 24 hours.  Having worked a great deal in retail, I know the importance of customer service; but these guys apparently did not attend the same school of common sense that I did.  I will try again Friday to get the support line to respond, but G-Skill may make the whole situation a parting relationship anyway.  My Ebay sales have spared me a bit on the loss side before, and the RMA replacement may make someone else happy.

Whizbang

I am more than a little frustrated by Mushkin.  Eight days have now passed after receiving a support request confirmation ticket number with the assurance that I would be contacted within 24 hours.  Nothing else has transpired.  I have emailed again--no response, followed by two attempted phone calls that were met with dead ends.  The last one to technical support gave me the automated unavailable at this time.  I tried switching to a live operator only to be restarted at the Mushkin automated "Thank you for calling Mushkin," spiel.  I am now sending a copy of the email RMA request ticket confirmation in hopes that there really is someone there.  This is not impressing me at all.

Ace

Whiz, I agree with your assessment of customer service.  It probably went out the window with the dang American work ethic, and cheap gas.

You know, the customer support here is lacking too.  I've also had to respond to my own dang poast in lieu of anyone else picking up.  It's like calling someone and getting dead air.. you just want to scream "LOOK, YOU JUST READ THE DANG THING. WHY DON'T YOU SAY SOMETHING!!?"

It's funny, but sometimes when you scream at someone to respond they still might not.  You'd think they'd figure it out, by then. 

A lot of those people who attend the School of Common Sense skip class a lot.  They probably ought to have required attendance.  I always thought Mushkin was high-end quality stuff.  After having my mobo blow a memory slot I know how frustrating it is to have your memory go.  I remember when my memory went.  I guess it's good I do.  I remember reading people who said they let memtest go for ungoshly long times, like overnight... I thought it'd be pretty quick to pick up a breakdown...  Like someone who can't remember where they parked, or their brother's name.  I wouldn't think you'd need a few hours to confirm they're pretty far gone.

It's good that you made someone else happy, though.  I guess that's one of those "Secrets" to life, like paying ahead.  You could think of it that way; you bought this stupid Mushkin stuff which made them happy.  They're pretty well satisfied I'd guess, and just figure you should now pay someone else to be happy and move on.

If you call me I'll pick up, and make sure the recording isn't on.  It'd be kinda funny if you really were getting a live person, and they were just imitating a recording... Maybe they do that when they get bored waiting for someone else to send in money.

Ace; if anyone emails me I better check my spam filter...
Ring bells for service.

pat

That happened to me just the other day. I got home and there was a call from my credit card company fraud division. They were checking up on some charges I had made to be sure they were legit. Sure, thatââ?¬â?¢s ok, so I figure Iââ?¬â?¢d call and confirm that is was really me that made the charges and that would be that. So I call and get an automated message and the first thing they want is for you to punch in your credit card number, but I thinks to myself, ââ?¬Å?Hey self, what if this is just a scam to get my numbers and other personal information?ââ?¬Â So I call the 1-800 on the back of my card to check to see if itââ?¬â?¢s really them or just some dirt-bag scammer. Do you think there is an option to get to a real person, no. Just a non-stop loop of options that bring you back to the main menu, jeez itââ?¬â?¢s like Iââ?¬â?¢m caught up in that ground hog movie or something. By then I had checked my email and they had sent me a message there as well asking me to call the fraud division so I just went ahead and called and punched up my numbers and confirmed my purchases and then wouldnââ?¬â?¢t you know there was an option to talk to a real person, so I took it. I did get right through and once I again confirmed that I was indeed the person that I in fact am, got to explain to the fellow my thinking on the matter and he said that yes that could be a problem and they were working on it and they had to forward all calls like this to the fraud division, at which point I was left on hold.

I just hung up.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Whizbang

Man,am I glad you gave me that jolt.  I have a habit of believing people too easily.  I have never fallen for a scam, but I haven't heard of one quite like that.  Whether real or not, hang on to the CC number.  That is why I almost always use a nearly empty debit account for online purchases with just a little more than what is needed to cover the price.

Bill

Using a debit card on line bothers me a lot.  Once it's out there, there is always the chance that the scammer will try to use it later, a day, a week, or a month, particularly if the scammed numbers are being sold.

For that reason, I use a credit card with a low spending limit, say $1,000 and a $50.00 customer responsibility limit.  Even if its stolen, my maximum exposure is $50.  Generally a reputable card company will allow you to set the spending limit if its below what they would like to allow.
And, for major purchases, say a new Alien game machine, you can usually adjust the limit for that one purchase, and then lower it again.  Takes a little more attention and effort, but I think it's safer.

And, so much for Ace's point about responding.

Bill; there, it did it.
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

I'm sorry, I didn't have a point.  I just didn't have anything better to do yesterday.  Well, or today, so far.  And what's this new stupid trend to have to pay sales tax on online purchases?! Geez criminy that's why I liked to buy online so as to avoid another gouge. 

I'd like to cut up credit and debit cards.  For people in front of me in the supermarket or CVS.  Buying 1 or 3 stupid things, like a can of tuna and box of Kleenex.  And can't get it to work.  While I am to pay Cash.

Ace; at home, I pay by check.
Ring bells for service.

Whizbang

Ironically, paying with cash can be the slowest way.  Octogenarians like to use either checks or cash, and the ones paying cash will often rummage around for the exact change.  The check way is not bad if the payer allows the register to fill in the blanks and then simply scan the check for debiting the purchase.  The phrase, "Just a minute; I think I have a penny somewhere," is not at all uncommon.

As to the RMA, I am still waiting, and waiting, and....

I just registered on the Mushkin forum and am waiting for the email activation that the server was supposed to send immediately.  NOT!  Customer poll on forum does not give Mushkin outstanding response either.

I have been waiting for over ten minutes for the instant forum activation reply.  Oh, well, I can always use the memory sticks to swat carpenter bees that are determined to bring the roof down in the barn.

15 minutes, ZZZzzz

20 minutes, success, well sort of.  Now I am waiting for someone to read the message and answer.

Ace

Well, I read it but I don't know if this is the answer you were hoping for.  For which you were hoping.

And look, I'm not 8 legged so quit calling me an octogenarian.  I'm not even all that good using both hands equally to be amphibious.

I don't look for correct change, my wife does.  Usually she springs into action as soon as I dig into a pocket for some kind of coin... I give her about 3 seconds and then just throw down enough to come close.  You should answer "Maybe you'll find your mind, with it" when someone says that about their penny.  Or "I wish I had a gun, here."  Or "I have somewhere else to be... somewhere."

No, I can't stand someone paying by check in person.  That's just even more tedious.  I only do that at home, where I've hired someone who knows where I live.

Ace; ZZZzzztop
Ring bells for service.

Whizbang

Finally, return authorization received.  I guess I was just not stomping hard enough.

scuzzy

Quote from: Ace on April 23, 2007, 14:29 hrs
You know, the customer support here is lacking too.  I've also had to respond to my own dang poast in lieu of anyone else picking up. 

Well, geez. What do you expect? If we answer any of your poasts, it encourages you to poast again. You've shown that same abhorrent behavio(u)r since I met you 9 freaky years ago.

Scuzzy; I often email myself
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

See, once I interject myself in the proceedings Whiz's problem is solved and customers are served and world becomes a better place.  I'm like that character from Lil' Abner who had the name you couldn't pronounce and the white cloud over his head causing goodwill and happiness to follow.

I wish I could blame it on that "Secret" of thinking positively and then causing good to occur, but honestly I was pretty apathetic and can't say I was thinking much of anything. 

I'd try that self emailing mode, but I think I already blocked myself from my email.  I was getting way too many chain letters and huge photos that blobbed up my in box. 

Ace; only white cloud over me would probably be chlorine gas.
Ring bells for service.

Whizbang

mushkin ( They use lower case) finally got the idea that I was a bit perturbed.  I can't imagine what made them think that.   ::)   The mushkin forum manager was really bothered by the slow response to my request.   The two sticks are on the way to Denver.  I guess I should have had Scuzzy intercept and turn on his siren for the USPS delivery. 

scuzzy

Yeah, unfortunately USPS gets special treatment for some unknown reason. I can't pull them over or give them tickets.

Scuzzy; And they know it, too. Bunch of poastal b*ttheads. Go FedEx.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

Boy; did you guys ever butcher the spelling of "UPS."  Maybe you shoulda just gone with "brown."

Only thing I don't like about FedEx is that they usually won't leave something, while UPS and the UnitedStatesPostalService will hide it in the bushes for you. 

You know, I was thinking this was titled "Fast and Courteous" but if I rode with Scuzzy it'd be "Fast and Curious."

Ace; or "Fast and Cuirass" if I was wearing my normal get-up like in Oblivion.  Be careful how you pronounce "Cuirass", too. 
Ring bells for service.

Whizbang

I will not be purchasing any more Mushkin memory.  The FedEx delivery of my "replacement" RMA'd memory arrived today after 6 weeks of trying to get Mushkin's attention.  I immediately put it in and ran Memtest86.  The memory that I sent to them appears to be the same that was returned to me because I get virtually the same errors as before.  I have tested my system with the other Mushkin memory that I have and recorded no errors.  I also tested the G-Skill that I have in my system now and got a complete cycle with no errors.  The Mushkin will not even correctly identify itself.  I have even run it at 133FSB and switched between Auto and SPD with the same results.  I am not going to ask for another RMA; what would be the use?  This last one cost me over $7.00 and over 4 weeks of waiting.  Apparently, they thought I was stupid and would not know the difference.  If it is indeed the same memory, as I suspect, they have re-labeled it.  I do, however, plan to voice my controlled displeasure on the Mushkin support forum.

Muskin

G-Skill

Ace

Geez Louise, I've heard of a dog returning home after crossing great distances but I didn't know Memory would remember how to find you even after you sent it far away.  I wouldn't mind having my dog come back but that stuff sounds more like it's haunting you...

Ace; no one cares if their cat returns home.
Ring bells for service.

Whizbang

I guess you know the whole mess is a big joke when you can see this under the Poast Office, a joke to them maybe, but a pain to me.   :'(

I don't think I will be getting any more help from Mushkin.  They seem to think that I just need to adjust the mainboard settings.  I simply cannot get them to realize that I have two other units, including my daughter's, with the same memory; both work fine; and both correctly detect the memory they have.  This memory generates the same errors on my other unit and also is not correctly identified.  Since it worked perfectly for well over a year, why should I go to tweaking it to make it work now?  I tried and had to reset BIOS jumper to get computer to boot at all.  The computer will not correctly detect the speed and any attempt to set it manually crashes the bootup sequence.

The settings are supposed to be 3-3-3-8, but they now are detected as 2.5-3-3-6.  It does not matter because it still does not work when I set everything manually to spec.

Ace

No, I don't think this should be in the Funny Bone.  It's not that funny.  Not like everything there is, if you know what I mean.  I guess maybe if you had a bunch of Germans bouncing off the top of your memory into a pool of water or an outdoor toilet it'd be kinda amusing.  Or Regina Spektor singing some song about "mushmushmushmushmushkin memmemmemmemmemmemmemorrreeeee. Drives me nuts."

I always though Mushkin was top of the line way cool stuff, too.  Guess I'm glad I didn't go there.   You oughta have them do a home visit and provide on site tech help.

Ace; wait for them to bend over to set it and let them have it...

Ring bells for service.

Whizbang

I sent an email to G-Skill support asking them if they had 24 hour response to email.  I received a return in 2 hours.  I also sent an email to Mushkin support---->again, and it was actually answered within 2 hours.  They actually agreed to send me a replacement set and then allow me to return the "defective" set.  I put "defective" in quotes because that is how they did it.  Would someone please explain to me how I can use memory for well over a year, then have my computer crash and trash the hard drive, immediately replace the memory with new memory that works perfectly, test the "defective" memory in another identical working machine and get the same disastrous results, compare the "defective" memory directly with that in two other units that are also virtually identical, have no problems at all with the other memory; and then for some reason the mainboard settings need to be tweaked to accommodate this "change-in-life-cycle" that the "defective" memory is experiencing?  I really tried to be sympathetic to the "memory-pause" life cycle change it is experiencing and gently "love" it back into the real world.  But, trying to tweak the mainboard controls is like trying to swing a mood cycle in the not-mentioned comparison.  I can tweak just so much with only a slight degrading response as a result until the whole shebang goes haywire.  I had to reset the BIOS jumpers because it just does not like to read the correct values.  I have had a problem with tech help before on other sites.  There seems to be this overriding belief that the customer is inherently ignorant, and that the product cannot possibly be defective.  I will say it one more time just to set the record straight, as Nixon would have said (Oops wrong guy to quote), IT WORKED PERFECTLY FOR WELL OVER A YEAR AND THEN TRASHED MY HARD DRIVE!!!.  Any and all replacement memory that I put into the unit work works fine with no personal change-in-life-cycle considerations.  The "defective" memory will not work in my other system either and generates the same errors.  Is there an unknown language barrier that I am not addressing here.   ???

Bill

Well that may depend on where their tech support actually is located,  hmm.

On the other hand, you are not the typical caller wondering where in "this metal box does the memory go? Can I just throw it in there?" By the time you finished testing and measuring performance, you knew more about the memory stick than they did.
Just accept your superior knowledge and be forgiving.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Whizbang

I can't help it; I have a Rodney Dangerfield headache coming on.  Paranoia is now setting in and I expect the Gremlins to appear at any time.  The rast time I culled custumah suppote somewheyah, I got vewy bod connexion, I guess,OK?  "OK" seems to be the favorite response to "I cannot understand a word you are saying."

Bill

Yes, you're right about that.  I get it all the time from 'English as a second language" individuals.  It always leaves me wondering if.....

Bill

Ace

Ok, look, probably if you just spoke slower and distinctly and LOUDER they'd be able to catch on, ok?  Or just go with "Listen, you large hog, I find you wildly boring you boar I mean bore" they could say they guess.  I suppose a Rodney Dangerfield headache is pretty bad, since he's dead.  I'd hate to have Gremlins appear; that was one ugly car.  Especially the ones with the denim interior.

Ace; I was never much of a deadhead fan, ok?  I mean, they only had about 2 songs I could listen to.  I bet you could install Mushkin memory the same as that guy did his Vista.
Ring bells for service.

Whizbang

Oh, this is really getting complicated, and my head is spinning.  Now, the forum moderator has emailed me that the DDR400 Mushkin has known issues with AMD XP 333 FSB.  If that is so, why does it ever work at all, and for such a long period of time?  There was no warning issued, and why, if the memory is still OK does it no longer work on any system.  Does that still not indicate that the memory is defective?  I actually ran the memory at a reduced voltage because MSI recommended the 2.5 voltage as opposed to the 2.6.  Since a lower voltage generates less heat and has been completely stable, the memory could hardly be suffering from overheating with our pedestrian use of the computer.  I do not know if this is a fact or just another attempt to pass the buck or puck, or whatever.

Whizbang

Here is this poast continued in hardware discussion, just for the serious part only