• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

no nVideo

Started by Ace, July 23, 2004, 08:39 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace

Hi all; sorry I'm back (really, I am).  
After the resurrection of my desktop by Windows repair, it seems Windows no longer recognizes my nVidia Ti4200 64 card.  There's no appearance of it in Device Manager; all adaptor readings are "VGA Save" which I assume is default, basic system setting.

I'm stuck with a max resolution of 1024x768 at true color. Anything higher cuts the color content.  Obviously had way more range, before probs.

The card's existence appears at initial boot-up statement.  I've installed original drivers (off Monarch disk), updated drivers I'd downloaded, all other component drivers (display drivers) off disk.  I had gotten an error message about ExperTool causing problems (the settings tool) so removed that after the repair.  

How does one get the system to recognize an already installed card..?  Do you have to uninstall all drivers, go with VGA defaults, yank the thing (then boot..?) then shut down/reinstall/reboot like it's new hardware?  

Also found that Norton is gone from system; only thing I have is an update capability, but core antivirus is out since it was OEM.  Will have to purchase that today before I go online at home (don't feel like any unnecessary risks at this point..).

Ace; every day's a new adventure. Dangit.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

My limited experience with this problem (one time) was solved by uninstalling all video drivers, reboot,  install new versions of drivers and reboot.
In my case that solved the issue.

On the anti-virus thing, you might try AVG- its free and does a pretty good job.
I assume you will have a firewall in place before going back on line.
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

Thanks for the tips, Ludd. Yes, have the fireplace I mean firewall enabled.  I just don't wanna try anything online until I get protection... plus, Earthlink is still oblivious to any fix of the "new" AlwaysOn setting of my hook-up, so I'm about ready to bail on them...  
AC
Ring bells for service.

Chandler

If Windows XP doesn't recognise a video adapter it enables a VGA mode driver.  In their infinate wisdom, Microsoft decided to make this so that you cannot use a driver upgrade on it.

However, if you install the nVidia drivers from http://www.nvidia.com it should remove the VGA driver and install the correct nVidia one.

Ace

Ahhh. Infinite.

I've always downloaded those to my desktop, then installed from there.  Do I "Open" it instead, off website?  I installed the newest one I had on my desktop, but obviously it didn't overwrite the default VGA.  Just trying to figure how to get it to "take".  

Ace; nIdiot
Ring bells for service.

Chandler

Run the downloaded file and it should automatically execute Setup.exe.  Once that's finished it should work once you've restarted.

Ace

I'll give it a go when I get home; that's what I did from the one I had stashed on the desktop (download from a couple weeks ago) and it's what it ISN'T recognizing now, but maybe it will take.  Would it help to uninstall all previous ones first?
Ac.
Ring bells for service.

pat

I would recommend backing up everything you want off your current install and start over with a clean install.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Ace

Pat - based on the video probs?  Or just general standards of cleanliness...?  Sounds like I need to now delete/reinstall Earthlink TotalAccess (tech help is obviously tapped out as to what is wrong with this picture).  I'll see if the video driver reinstall does anything; I have a Gainward (mfg) disk too so will likely go with that.

If I delete the nVidia drivers, I still have video through the VGA default, yes?  I know that's a stupid question but with my luck..
AC
Ring bells for service.

Igloo

yes ace, you do, windows will install a default one....

i would recogment backing up, and re-installing too, due to you dont know what messing with it could have done, so backu, formatt, then re-install....

Igloo
AMD 64 4400+
2gb PC 3800 RAM
Asus a8n-Sli Premium
Nvidia 7800GT
5.1 creative Speakers
2x 250gb Maxtor S-ata drives
Windows XP Pro
32x DVD,
Dual Layer DVD Burner.

Server:

Amd Athlon xp 2400
1gb pc 2700 RAM
1x 40gb 1x 60gb IDE drives.
DVD - Rom.
Ubuntu Linux 5.10

pat

No, not based just on the video problem, but the trouble with the earthlink and not knowing what caused the problem or what may still be waiting to cause a problem.

You could also just take a wait and see attitude, give the video another shot. Try and reinstall the internet connection.
I like to reinstall every year or so anyway, it takes a while to make sure everything is backed up and reinstall all the programs and files, but the system always seems to run a little better.
Or perhaps that just some of that placebo effect that was mentioned in another poast.   ;)
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Igloo

i do mine when it needs it, but i ghost it every months, (which reminds me to do it tomorrow) and then i use re-install and pull things from the ghost images. works well, or if i am feeling lazy (which i do most of the time) i just pop the image back onto the hdd, and then carry on...
AMD 64 4400+
2gb PC 3800 RAM
Asus a8n-Sli Premium
Nvidia 7800GT
5.1 creative Speakers
2x 250gb Maxtor S-ata drives
Windows XP Pro
32x DVD,
Dual Layer DVD Burner.

Server:

Amd Athlon xp 2400
1gb pc 2700 RAM
1x 40gb 1x 60gb IDE drives.
DVD - Rom.
Ubuntu Linux 5.10

Ace

Thanks for explaining all that; never did a format or install (always made it through the delivery version...).  I'll create an emergency repair disk, just from where it is now, in case...  What formatting (and how) do you need to do before going with a full reinstall?
AEC; after I repair myself.
Ring bells for service.

Chandler

Do you have an XP CD-ROM?

If so, you do the formatting by booting to the CD (set CD to the First Boot Device in the BIOS).  At one point it will ask you where you want to install Windows to.  At that point, you can delete the existing partitions and on the next screen you will be prompted to format.

pat

This site gives good visuals if you?d like to have a look.
Windows Reinstall

Ace

Thanks; I'll look at that Pat.  Appreciate the step by step Chandler. Yes; have the XP CD.

I'm home; just removed all nVidia drivers, rebooted and installed everything from the Gainward CD including ExperTool.  NO change in performance... recognizes card and drivers, but no sign of it in device manager where still reads VGA save.  Wondering if the Monitor is the hang up...? Just have a basic MAG, but the monitor shows as default with no means to go to properties/driver settings.  Wonder if that's why it refuses to go past the basic defaults 'cause it thinks the monitor can't handle it?  

If I'm going to lose all Earthlink capabilities on the reinstall of that (doubt anything they suggest will work, since nothing has), I'll probably be inclined to a complete overhaul, especially if video stays stalled.
Ring bells for service.