• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Trojan/Malware Problem

Started by Aaron_T, February 01, 2006, 12:43 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron_T

Hi, i'm getting constant virus warnings from my avast about a trojan being found in the file ddcyx.dll.

this virus makes the PC run unacceptably slow and i cannot get rid of it no matter what anti trojan program i use.

one of the viruses appears to be malware by the name of virtualmonde and the other is a trojan downloader.

help would be dearly appreciated, but im still baffled as to how the virus gets through my fully updated avast, fully updated zonealarm professional and also the built in firewall on my router  ???
POTATOES!

Whizbang

I would first run MSCONFIG at Startup---Run to see if it has a startup executable under the Startup tab that can be deactivated.  Look for any process that is not a recognized norm.

Aaron_T

theres one thing that looks suspicious its system32 dumpreg, not sure if this is anything bad though.

everything else looks normal.
POTATOES!

Whizbang

Dumreg is an Xp based program that dumps the registry to allow keyed string analysis.  Try running free antivirus scan from this forum page.

Aaron_T

well i would but these daft online virus scans needs internet explorer to work and i dont use IE under any circumstances usually.
POTATOES!

Aaron_T

ok i used housecall to scan the system and it says there are no viruses found, my avast doesnt seem to agree....

it pops up with random viruses every now and then coming from that same dynamic link i told you about in the first post  ???
POTATOES!

Whizbang

Apparently, you have a Winfixer trojan.  There is a great deal about it on the net.  If you have not run updated versions of SpyBot and Spyware Blaster, I would do that first.  ddcyx.dll is the main component of that trojan.  While Winfixer is advertised as beneficial, almost all other sites condemn it as an invader.

Aaron_T

i ran spybot and it picked up fifty problems including the virtumonde virus which is linked with the ddcyx.dll.

it cleared all of these problems but things seem to have gotten worse, the computer is slower then ever and the bottom bar has changed to windows classic stlye without me even selecting it.

:-\
POTATOES!

Bill

No one program will pick up and fi everything.  You really need to run several.  Try the trend micro on line scan over there on the left of the page.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Whizbang

Keeping your computer immunized with antispyware is the most effective way to keep trojans out.  Also,

1)  Do not use IE except for updates,
2)  Avoid illegal music download sites and do not use Kazaa or any other illegal music oriented peer to peer program.  They are loaded with trash.
3)  Run all email through your antivirus before opening.  I am not familiar with Avast, so I cannot offer any help on that one.

4)  The two most important safeguards are the firewall and antispyware.  My AVG antivirus has been totally quiet since installing antispyware and keeping a firewall up.

I thought yesterday that I did have an invader, but it was a false alarm, just a hard drive acting up and my printer drivers not being recognized by me as legitimate software.