• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

hardware help

Started by whamb, March 19, 2004, 22:23 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

whamb

I am returning after a long hiatus..Have enjoyed reading many of the posts..I am in need of an ide extension cable to extend the connection for my hard drive outside of the laptop.. (an IBM T-40).. I want to be able to connect a second Hard drive (slave) to my T-40 on a temporary basis..I am aware of the adaptor for adding a laptop hard drive to a desk top..But I am not aware of the configuration for extending to the outside of a laptop..
    Any suggestions?? and Thanx in advance...
Alan

query

You would need an external case with a power supply for the drive (USB, firewire, SCSI) and a corresponding connector inside the notebook (either a built-in port or an add-in PCMCIA card).

USB2, SCSI or firewire are all fast enough for use with a hard drive.  USB 1.1 is not.

Even if you could make a cable to connect to the mainboard connector, chances are you'd damage the mainboard if you tried to run a 3.5" drive from a notebook - the power required would overwhelm the notebook, which is designed to run a low power 2.5" or 1.8" drive, not a desktop drive.