• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by Neon, November 18, 2000, 21:29 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Neon

OK, I'm gonna try it. (If you never see another poast from me, then it went horribly wrong.)

Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

Joanie

Don't forget to backup your files Neon.

Joanie

n/a

In it works, Neon, it's your turn.

On the other hand, if it doesn't work my name is really Scuzzy.

n/a

Here's a tip I saved and used--I believe it's from Fred Langa.

This tweak is definitely one to pass along to friends. Windows 98 accesses your swap file (virtual memory) before it runs out of RAM (physical memory) -- which, from a user's point of view, is completely nuts. Virtual memory will always operate slower than physical memory, so why does Windows 98 insist on using both? Frankly, I don't know. According to article Q223294 in the Microsoft knowledge base, this new method is more efficient. Uh huh. Thank goodness they've posted a fix! Yes, if you have more than 64 megabytes of RAM and you're running Windows 98, you'll wanna give this a shot. In your SYSTEM.INI file, under the [386Enh] section, enter: "ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1" (without the quotes). Reboot, and I believe you'll find your system more responsive. Your mileage may vary!

Bear

-Learning as fast I can-