• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

"An error occurred...."

Started by Gracie, April 24, 2005, 15:44 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Gracie

"...while renewing interface pawz connection: The RPC server is unavailable"

this is the message I get when I go into Command and type in ipconfig /renew. The OS is XP SP2.

The network is up for all the other machines. The last thing I did was uninstall and remove ALL Symantec files, including shared, and reg settings as I had been getting an error message and wanted to uninstall and reinstall Norton AV.
Then I switched off the machine and found out I had no internet access when I switched it back on later.

The ethernet card responds to a loop IP, RPC is set to automatic in services, and Winsockfix for XP did not achieve a success, so I am stuck as to how I can get the card enabled to receive an IP from the Router. Is anyone familiar with this problem please?

ta

Gracie :(

ahh, ps, something I forgot to say.
When I look at the Network Connections page, the icon for the Ethernet card has a little padlock symbol next to it. And when I do ipconfig/all, I get my card IP details, such as they are,  and then the Teledo Tunnel thingy underneath - which I looked up because I had not seen it before and thought it might be something unwelcome.
It is 'ok' I understand, but it is not usually on  the list.
How can I  unlock that padlock I wonder?
Gracie :)

Gracie

oh, the padlock disappeared when I disabled  Windows Firewall - but  the card still cannot get an ip address and  the RPC is still reckoned  not to be available

hmph >:(

Mark H

A shared file may have been deleted that is needed for your network. Try running the Windows XP CD to do a repair. You might also try reinstalling Nortons, but I would go with the repair idea first.

Before trying the above, try to go back to a restore point in windows.
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Gracie

Hi Mark, thanks for your help.  Yes, I wondered if that is what I had done, though I had no message to that effect I re-installed Nortons, though it seemed not to have any immediate benefit - and the WMI problem is still coming up with it (sigh). I ran scannow without any  improvement earlier on, and did a system restore, also with no good effect - but now, I am pleased to say, I am back on.

I  set the tcp/ip to a static IP and put the  default gateway address in, and  that got  me into the router, which I had not been able to access before from the browser. My machine wasn't in the client table, which wasn't suprising since the router had not assigned the ip to it, so it did not appear on refresh. I fiddled around there a bit to see if I could get any clues as to what the problem might be, then went back to the tcp/ip and changed it to getting an IP automatically, and then went back to the router and released and renewed, and  then found all was as it should be. Quite what I did right I dunno, except putting the deafault gateway in when I went for the static address. Now I just have to turn off and re-boot and see if it is still ok.... thanks again  :)