• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by n/a, November 12, 2000, 02:50 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

n/a

Hey LInda J! Welcome to our Forum and a special Greeting from another Milwaukee person!

Wow 20 sites huh I used to do something similar but it got to be allot of work. Are you using Frontpage? If so YUCK! Cant stand FP, its just another MS attempt to take over the planet.

Feel free to poast away! We are here to help.

Jon

Edited by - 2mcabre on Nov 12 2000  03:51:03 AM

Joanie

Greetings Linda,

Nice to have you here and we look forward to seeing many more of your poasts.

Glad you like the Forum,  we went through many before the Admins decided on the Snitz. Bear has done a great job setting it up and we will be looking into more features after becoming better acquainted here.

I did some work in FrontPage but have never really liked it and have forgotten what I did know. We will most likely be using it here in the near future which means learning  about it all over again.

Hurry Back,

Joanie

Carol

I have a question. There seems to be a lot of negatives toward Frontpage.  My son has been wanting me to buy it for him.  

He has been working on the high school web page and has been using Claris HomePage and helping a teacher at the elementary school using Dreamweaver.

Is there a program better than Frontpage that is reasonably priced (not in the hundreds) that he could get started learning to do his own web pages?  Any suggestions?  Thanks
It is never too soon to do a kindness, for one never knows how soon it will be too late.

When I stand before God at the end of my life. I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, I used everything you gave me.--Erma Bombeck

n/a

Yup, its called Netscape Composer, which is a basic WYSIWYG html editor. (What you see is what you get .

It is not frames capable, but then NOBODY likes frames, they are annoying and you can achieve the same if not better results using Tables.

If your son wants to learn the right way then you should goto a bookstore (seriously) and get him the book called "HTML for DUMMIES." or even "WEBPAGES for DUMMIES."

At his age one of the best things he can do is learn how to do it the hard way. Once he understands how the markup language works it will be a cinch for him to pick his own html editor. HotDog is a very good html editor and in my opinion is just as good if not better than Frontpage. Like I mentioned FP is just another attempt by MS to take over the world and rebuild it in its own image.

http://www.sausage.com/

Yup, HotDog is made by a company called Sausage Software

Jon

Carol

Thanks Jon.  I think he has done some playing aound with Netscape Composer on this computer.  I will get him the books.  I bookmarked the Sausage site for him to look at.

Thanks too for the explanation of WYSIWYG.  You know I would not have know what it meant.

Carol

It is never too soon to do a kindness, for one never knows how soon it will be too late.

When I stand before God at the end of my life. I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, I used everything you gave me.--Erma Bombeck

n/a

Carol, I use both FrontPage 2000 and Dreamweaver, which is considerably more expensive. Neither is perfect. FP2K is a BIG improvement over previous versions, but still a typical overblown Microsoft product with a dozen different ways to do anything simple. Still, for site organization and lots of gadgets it's hard to beat.

Dreamweaver is very good, and in many ways superior, but like most Macromedia products it isn't very intuitive to learn. If you have some experience and the bucks, it's highly recommended.

Jon is right that Netscape's Composer is a good basic HTML composer, but it is very basic. I used it for my first attempt and had lots of fun with it. But there are better freebies out there, and the one that gets the best reviews is 1st Page 2000, available at http://www.evrsoft.com.

I would recommend that you download 1st Page 2000 (or whatever they're calling it now--they were having a renaming contest last I heard) and see how he likes it. If doesn't care for it, there's always Hot Dog.

On the other hand, if he's already discouraged by this prickly art form or his interests change (I used to be a kid myself), you won't be out the bucks.

Carol

Thanks you Bear for the info.  I'm sure he will want to download 1st Page.  He already has a grasp on using Dreamweaver.  And the educational price is much cheaper than retail, about the same price as Frontpage. I think we would not have trouble getting it at that price as he works for three different teachers after school.  

But your right about interests changing although his interest in computers and that he wants to work in the computer world hasn't changed since he was 8 (almost 14 now).

Carol

Linda J

Hi, All!

I joined this site last night to see what Bear has put together, and I must say I am impressed!

Just a little bit about me: I live in Milwaukee and work as a laboratory technician for Miller Brewing Company. I'm one of the many people who make sure that when you drink our products, you are getting the best on the market. I've been with Miller for 23 years, working first in the Packaging area, and now in the Brewing area. So now I test the beer before it goes into the bottles, cans or kegs. I'm also one of 50 qualified taste testers in the plant.

About a year and a half ago, I was approached by one of the people working on a special project, asking if I would be willing to take on a portion of the program. It's called SkilBase, and basically it is an internet training course on how to do everything in the brewery. I started out just doing the basic safety portions, and now it has grown to the point that I webmaster about 20 sub webs. So I am going to need all the help I can get from you folks! I look forward to our growing friendship.

Linda