• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

10,000 RPM hardrives are here!

Started by Thunderdog, November 30, 2003, 11:04 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunderdog

PC911/pricegrabber
Ive heard there was 15,000 RPM's out there...?

Hot hot hot

Fixed Link, pat

query

10K and 15K SCSI drives have been on the market for years.  

WD has been selling a 10K SATA drive for about nine months or so now.  It recently released the second-generation Raptor SATA drive (at 37 and 74 GBytes, vs. 36 only for the first generation Raptor).

Thunderdog

Will these make games run faster, or just load faster. I never hear my H/D running, just on load up....?

I know so much...

query

The Raptor is faster than a 7200 rpm drive, certainly.  How much faster is open to question - it's a relatively expensive driver ($130 or so for a 36G model), and it requires a SATA controller.  

The Raptor really shines when you pair two of them on a SATA RAID controller - and stripe them.  

The current Raptor has a reputation as a relatively noisy drive - the second-generation units use fluid bearings rather than ball bearings and preliminary reports are they are much quieter as a result.  If you've ever spent any time around a server with 10 or 15K SCSI drives, you may know about the high-pitched whine they produce - in a datacenter, it's not bad -- but in your home, you may find it irritating.