• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by scuzzy, August 31, 2001, 08:04 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

Julie, welcome to Poasters. I wish there was an easy answer to your question, but the best answer is, "It depends." Generally, you want to buy as much computer as you can afford. Heck, the big news today is that Intel just released the world's first 2GHz microprocessor. Yet, within 2 years that will be old news, and 2GHz will probably be the "entry level" CPU.

Since you are not planning to use the computer for gaming, don't place too much emphasis on the video card. The standard card that comes with the system will probably suffice. As for RAM, buy the standard that comes with the computer, and upgrade (when needed) at Crucial.com. You'll get high quality RAM much cheaper than through Dell.

Last thing: wait about 3 or 4 weeks and you'll get that Dell with Windows XP, which is infinitely superior to Windows Me. Dell is offering a $20 upgrade certificate to XP from Me, but if you wait you'll get the system preinstalled with XP. You'll be glad you waited.

http://www.poasters.com/images/scuzzy.gif" border=0>

Alex Garcia
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Julie

Scuzzy, should I wait for XP even though I plan to buy MS2K pro? Should I give up Trinitron monitor for the 2Ghz? I was planning on just 1.7Ghz with 100GB hard drive. Thanks for your input!

scuzzy

Julie,

You'll find that WinXP will be even more stable than Win2k Pro. Unless you outright need the networking features of Win2k Pro, WinXP will likely do the trick for you. However, Win2k Pro is a superior operating system, and it will likely perform like a champ for you. Even so, if you wait a little while, you can order a Dell with Windows XP *Professional* preinstalled. Give serious thought to what operating system you ultimately want to be running before you buy. Personally, I will probably hold out on buying a notebook computer until they come with WinXP installed from the factory. If not, I'll buy one with Win2k Pro.

As for what you should buy, again it's really up to you. It's difficult to give advice on such things, because only you know exactly what you expect in return for your money. And, only you know how much you're willing to spend. Of course, you'll pay extra for a P4 2GHz processor, whereas a P4 1.7 will likely do everything you need, and more.

For now, I would think that the only people who will really benefit from the P4 2GHz are "power users", serious gamers, and graphics professionals. Unless you are in one of those categories, you probably don't need to spend that kind of money. After all, a 1.7GHz is no slouch.

As for the monitor, you may want to consider a "flat panel" instead of a CRT based monitor. They've come down in price considerably, and they are very sweet. A 15" LCD monitor has almost as much screen space as a regular 17" monitor. Plus, they take up very little desk space, they run much cooler, and they use less energy. Serious gamers are still better off with a CRT monitor, but an LCD might be right up your alley.

http://www.poasters.com/images/scuzzy.gif" border=0>

Alex Garcia
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

BlueIce

I have a trinny and it is nice to look at but I Would go afer a 21 inch monitor and 1.7ghz  

Now on to XP I am running an evaluation version of winXP pro and I do like it alot Its win2k with alot more, and a smooth feel

hopefully hardware manufactures will have some drivers out by the time you purchase your new system

http://www.poasters.com/images/ice.gif" border=0>

pat

Howdy Julie,

I took a look at that 8100, nice looking system. The only advice I would give is to be an informed buyer. What I mean by this is read as many reviews as possible. Go out and get a couple of computer magazines for instance both Computer Shopper and PC world both had some pretty good P4 reviews in them this month. As for me and as of right now I see no compelling reason to get a P4 over a PIII or AMD Athlon.

Even the P4 is due for a change.

See: http://www.ebnews.com/columns/OEG20010711S0076-L

Also if I had to choose between a one step slower processor and a better monitor the monitor would clearly be the winner.  

Well that?s my 2 cents,

Pat

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

darksilence

if you want a lower prices ...

try staying away from 'brand name' computers ...

also try looking into AMD and different brands. Brands like DELL, IBM, like to increase the prices of the PC

-----------------

... everyone lives someone else's perfect world.

Julie

I am about to replace a Gateway 2000 (running MS 95) with a Dell Dimension 8100. I would like imput about Ghz, size of hard drive, memory and operating system. I will not use for gaming but will use for 2D graphics...brochures etc. Is there a ridiculous point at which the size does not justify the cost? HELP please!