• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

15" TFT Screen not working

Started by Quandry, July 13, 2004, 13:22 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Quandry

Hi,

I have this HP N5350 Pentium III Laptop which has a 15" Screen that is not working.

Its a great laptop and its a shame to trash it because I dont know how to fix the monitor itself.

I have hooked up an external monitor and its fine however the monitor screen on the laptop is barely visible.

I have had another laptop do this as well and if I remember correctly someone on this forum assisted me and put me in touch with someone which can work on or replace laptop screens?

Does anyone know where I could get this fixed? I am in Canada.

Thanks,

Quandry

query

The backlight bulb and/or its power supply (the inverter) has failed.

The parts to repair, when available, are inexpensive ($50US or less for both).  The labor involved is extensive, so it may add another $100-150 to the repair bill.

Quandry

Hey there query,

Thanks for the info.. My own research online has given me the impression you are absolutely correct.

Do you know of any reputable merhcants or businesses where I could ship it to and have it repaired. Its worth it if you ask me.. It is a 850mhz Pentium III with 128mb sodimm, 20gb ide and a DVD rom player..

Thanks,

Quandry

The backlight bulb and/or its power supply (the inverter) has failed.

The parts to repair, when available, are inexpensive ($50US or less for both).  The labor involved is extensive, so it may add another $100-150 to the repair bill.

query

It probably is worth repairing, if you plan to keep it a while.  I wouldn't buy a new system just now - a sea change in notebook processors is due later this year with the advent of the 533 MHz bus Pentium-M, which is due this Fall.

I think portablecomputer.com specializes in Compal repair - they used to visit this site regularly.  

Carskick

Heck, if it's only $150, it's definently worth it, as a portable DVD player is more than that!
Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick