• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Opinions Please on system build

Started by Allie-Baba, October 09, 2003, 00:15 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Allie-Baba

Well - I think I'm finally going to bite the bullet and jump in with at least 1 foot.

I planning on partially gutting the ol' HP 9900 that's been acting up and keeping the 160G 7200 RPM 8M and 40G 7200 RPM IDE HDDs. speakers, KB/Mouse, the 19" Quantex monitor, and possibly the Graphics Card (Nvidia Riva TNT2 64 AGP).

I'll be adding it to THIS plus 2 sticks of Crucial CT3264Z40B 256MB DDR PC3200 ? CL=3 ? Non-parity ? 5ns ? 2.5V ? 32Meg x 64 at $52 a pop .

I am over my budget a bit so I could temporarily drop the DVD burner, the graphics card, the round cables (which may not work in this application due to the way the HD bay is in the case - round cables don't flex like ribon ones can if you're careful) and a couple of odds and ends. Plus drop the processor back a step to save $20 as well.

I do plan on ugrading this system over time by adding some SATA drives, and beefing up the sound and graphics processing to support a home video/audio recording and mixing studio - but that's down the line a bit.

My only concerns are:
A) whether or not the PSU is beefy enough to handle eventual expansion that I want to do.
B) Maybe I should just jump in and pick up a different Graphics card. I'm not really into gaming so much - but I would like to get into GOOD quality video mixing so having Graphics inputs might be a good idea.

Opinions are welcome.

THNX
BRAD

"I had  something to say here, but then I forgot"

Neon

Those are some very nice parts you have selected, many are the same ones I picked for my upcoming system build. To address your first concern, I don't see a power supply anywhere.

Second, you will likely see a significant difference between a TNT2 and a Radeon 9600, especially for games but also for multimedia.

Thirdly, your thinking about where to cut back if this is over budget seems about right - the lights and rounded cables can wait (they make good holiday presents), and you can always slip the CPU back a speed grade, or go with a less expensive DVD burner or CD burner, depending on your needs.
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

Allie-Baba

NEON - The PSU comes with the case, it's an Antec Tru-Power 380W I believe.

Yes - I can certainly cut back on several fronts. $240 on the DVD burner is one. I have a TDK burner that I was supposed to send back to TDK for testing (got an RMA number and everythign). However, given the problems I've been seeing with my PC, I'm thinking it may have been PC related. So I might have a CD Burner that works is the point. (BTW - the lights are free with purchase of the case from newegg.)

Given the state of PCs today - waiting even a few months on getting a new Graphics card and DVD burner will only help the overall cost issue.  That removes what - almost $300 from the cost. Very reasonable for a pretty fast, nice looking and what should be reliable PC without getting crazy on the bleeding edge.

I still plan on fixing up the ol' HP 9900 and running Windows 98 on it for a while for my wife. I'm picking up a PSU tester though before I spend any more money on it.

THNX
BRAD

Mark H

The 380 watt power supply should be adequate for what you are putting in the machine.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

pat

Looks good.
What OS are you going to use?
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Allie-Baba

I plan on migrating XP home off of my ol' HP machine. I suppose there are some subtle legalities there as the OS was an upgrade to the HP. But I'm planning on either putting the HP system to sleep or running '98 on it so I suppose all's fair in love and war.

THNX
BRAD

Allie-Baba

Mark - I'm wondering about the future - such as what about adding another couple of SATA drives and maybe somehting like an eVGA 5200 128M Personal Cinema set-up.

Just kind of wondering how much overhead I have left.

THNX
BRAD

Allie-Baba

Well - I bit the bullet and things are on their way !!!!!  ;D 8)

I decided to drop the cables - not really needed - the graphics card (I have a 64M, 7200 PCI card already - suboptimal but it will work until maybe Santa comes) and the DVD burner for now - maybe Santa will bring that too? -.

Of course I ordered the Crucual Ran via the Poasters link.

Now the buyers remoarse(sp?) begins ;)

THNX
BRAD

Neon

So you're chomping on a lead slug while hopping around one-footed. That must be quite a picture to behold. ;) Anyway, the buyer's remorse will soon be replaced by joyful glee when the NewEgg box(es) arrive.
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

Mark H

Quote from: Neon on October 14, 2003, 13:56 hrs
Anyway, the buyer's remorse will soon be replaced by joyful glee when the NewEgg box(es) arrive.

Aside from my wife, nothing is better than getting a box from NewEgg or B&H Photo (for my photography supplies - highly recommend). ;D

Mark H

Allie-Baba

Mark - Please don't mention your Wife, photography and computers in one post - let alone one line. Too much information ;) :o :) LOL

THNX
BRAD

Mark H

Quote from: HoTO on October 14, 2003, 15:02 hrs
Mark - Please don't mention your Wife, photography and computers in one post - let alone one line. Too much information ;) :o :) LOL

THNX
BRAD

OK ;)

Allie-Baba

WooHoo !!!!!

The boxes have started rolling in - 3 today and one more on the way !!!!!! ;D

And Mark - you're right. It's not quite as good as your W------ Uh-Oh. Sorry.

Not gonna go there ;) :D

Not gonna start with the Wife/Momma jokes.

THNX
BRAD