• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Antec Power Supplies

Started by Allie-Baba, May 15, 2007, 13:32 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Allie-Baba

I have recently had problems with two Antec PSs. The original that came with my Antec case, and the new one I added just before X-mass. Anyone else here seeing problems with Antec lately.  I found a couple web pages with a LOT of problems specifically listed with my MoBO (A7N8X Deluxe) and Antec PSs in general - with my PS listed specifically (SP-500).

I'm going to exchange the old drive at NewEgg (if I can find the internal original packing material) for another one. But assuming the PS didn't take out my whole PC when it died - me thinks using another Antec isn't such a great idea.

Thoughts?

Anyone know just how sensitive NewEgg is with having the exact correct internal packaging materials?  I may buy another PS locally and try to use that packing material.

THNX
BRAD
"I had  something to say here, but then I forgot"

query

How old is the PSU?  Newegg will only take exchanges for 30 days - after that you'll need to contact Antec.

Allie-Baba

I don't think so. (?) On Antec PSs it their "normal" support which is full return 30 days, and exchange 12 months. Supply is only about 5 months old.

I was able to go through the "auto" RMA process on NEs site - so I'm guessing they will take it back directly without me having to deal with Antec.

I'm just not to sure I want to ever deal with Antec again.  Granted - the internet is a scarry place, but I have found a lot of recent bad pub on Antec branded PSs.

Not sure which other direction I should go though.

THNX
BRAD

scuzzy

I too had a problem with my Asus A7N8X Deluxe / Antec True 430w PSU combo. The symptoms lead me to believe that I had a faulty motherboard, so I replaced it with an ASUS A8N5X. However, the problem ended up being the Antec power supply.

Two yrs ago, I also built a system for one of my daughters using an Asus A7N8X Deluxe / Antec TPII 380 PSU combo. She's now having the same problem that I was having. Since she lives a few states away, she will either have to pay a local shop to repair it, or wait 5 weeks when we go on a planned visit. Meanwhile, her computer is dead.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Allie-Baba

So what other good options are out there? What standards should I be looking for both for the A7N8X Deluxe and for any other future MoBo I may end up with (if this one is toast from the failed supply)?

THNX
BRAD

scuzzy

I have no answer. I did not know that the problem was the PSU until after I purchased and installed the new motherboard, as well as a PCI-E graphics card. The old Asus A7N8X Deluxe sits in my parts bin, and I don't know if it works or if it was damaged by the PSU.

I'll find out with my daughter's system if replacing the PSU alone resolves the problem. If not, then I'm going to have to quickly hunt down a motherboard replacement.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Carskick

My Antec Smart Power 350watt had compatibility problems with my Epox 9NDA3J, where it would only boot if I tripped it when power was first applied to the supply, and the board died 9 months in, but it was a known faulty board as well, and Epox sent me a 9NDA3+ as a replacement. Since then, I got a A8N5X, and have been using it with my Antec PSU since last summer. I have seen many complaints with Antec lately, and I am more wary of using their equipment than I was a couple of years ago. It's really sad to see a great companies reputation become tarnished with excessive unit failures and compatibility problems.

As long as it keeps working, the 350 I have, not the 2.0 version which is reported even more unreliable, is having no problems with an overclocked X2, a 7600GT, 2 hard drives, and 2GB of RAM. However for customers who need a cheap PSU, I am more likely to get a Sparkle for FPS, as they have been getting better marks in reliability lately and are cheaper than Antec. Choose a PSU is IMHO one of the hardest parts of a computer, as they can cause the most random problems.
Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick

Allie-Baba

Huh? You say?

Yep, I respond.

So after I set up the return I notice that I don't have ALL of the insides of the packing materials. I have the box but not the internal cardboard, or rubber bands, or plastic baggies, or anything else. Not sure where that stuff went anyway.

Call them - and they tell me "yes, you probably need that".

So - after looking around and still can't find the materials, I decide that well, I'll just ship it and see what happens.

I get to UPS and UPS won't accept my prepaid label that I printed from New Egg - after I paid for it. Interesting.

Go back on the web site and see that yes - there is a "2 week" limit to these things. OK. Can I get my money back for that? Well, it turns out - not so fast partner. I can't log into my account. No matter how hard I try it won't accept my logins (just two weeks before I changed my email address on my account because my old email has finally been shut off).

Contact IT at NewEgg - and they have no record.

So - I'm not sure what my next step is going to be. Certainly some of this responsibility is on my shoulders, and some of this is part and parcel with doing business remotely - someone has to pay for the returns. I may try the "cancel the credit card purchase" thing on the return shipping if I can't at least get some satisfaction there. And I may try and go directly through Antec on the return - but not sure how that will work exactly.

I've already ordered a new PS via Performance-PCs.com which gets high marks (it's a doozy BTY - Pricey but man is it nice!) It's a 600W Silverstone  SST-ST60F. A real horse. But $$$$. That and a new fan that is also and Antec and Also dead BTW.

Sorry for the length - I'm not really angry, just frustrated, but my Father-In-Law also recently had a bad experience at NE. So I'm wondering if something is going on.

THNX
BRAD