• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Graphics Card Recomendations

Started by Allie-Baba, July 05, 2006, 16:59 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Allie-Baba

Sorry I haven't been around much lately, between the job and life it doesn't leave much room for fun.................  Anway.........

I picked up a 19" HD Wide 16:9 monitor recently that I have been running in Analog mode.  The monitor handles that just fine, but I'm not getting full advantage of the new monitor.  I run 2 PCs through a simple KVM that doesn't support high enolugh resolution (1440x900) for the monitor so things look inappropriatly stretched with 1024x768.  Instead of getting a better KVM, I'm thinking of just getting a new graphics card.  The monitor itself supports front panel switching of input(s) so between my KVM and that I think things will work MUCH better (even though it would be potentially two steps.

So, I'm looking for recomendations for a graphics card.  I have an A7N8XDeluxe Mobo and am currently using a simple PCI graphics card.  I plan on leaving that connected for now and adding an AGP card that supports DVI.  I'd like dual graphics support on the new card, (DVI AND Analog) probably what, minimum 128 M graphics but probably not need more than 256, DVI and D-sub connectors?  What else?

Sure it would be nice to have one of the ATI All-in Wonder(s) but most that I have seen are way over my head.  I don't do a lot of gaming, but I do a fair amount of graphics processing of images, watch the occasional movie, and I run some graphics intensive programs like home planning and design tools etc. which I plan on getting more into.

Any help is appreciated.

THNX
BRAD
"I had  something to say here, but then I forgot"

Carskick

What about this

eVGA 6600

It is only $100, it has VGA and DVI dual ouput. It has good processing power, and a multitude of features. It should handle movies, imaging, and light to medium gaming. I think it will serve you well.
Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick

Allie-Baba

Thanks.......

I was looking here - eVGA6800 at it's big brother.  +$20 after rebate only. Of course, after a few only +$20 mores you can be talking about some real money.

eVGA quality seems good from what I have read.

THNX
BRAD

Carskick

Well, $35 dollar difference, but that is a good deal for that 6800.

I bought the PCIe 7600GT by eVGA, and it has been great. It runs perfetly, and remains cool. My customers have purchased eVGA cards as well, and I've never had a problem with them. Definitely a good brand.
Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick

Allie-Baba

That new math gets me everytime ;)  :o ???

THNX
BRAD