• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Still getting a computer...

Started by poast78, July 14, 2002, 02:14 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

poast78

First off, nice forum! (Though I wish you guys/gals wouldn't have tried to hide it from me...)  ;-)

A while back you guys helped me on my way toward getting a new PC. I've changed a few things, and here is the current list. (prices and item numbers are from newegg.com)

mobo
Asus VIA A7V333 KT333 Chipset ATX...........................$131
# A7V333

processor
AMD 1900+/266 FSB Athlon XP Processor CPU-OEM...............$117
# AX1900MT3C

ram
Samsung original DDR333 PC-2700 512MB CAS2.5-OEM............$152
# M368L6423C/DTL-CB3

hd
MAXTOR D740X Quiet Drive 60GB 7200RPM OEM.....................$96
# 6L060L3 -D740X

cd
PLEXTOR PX-W4012TA/SW 40x12x40 CD-RW - OEM..................$121
# PX-W4012TA-BPS

That comes out to a little over $600. I still need fans, and probably thermal grease, but I'm lost there.
If you wouldn't mind helping me out, could you tell me what I need for cooling, and where I would need it? Could you also recommend good (very good please) fans and, whatever, for this settup?
I really do appreciate this. Business is picking up so the day is coming closer, and I'm getting excited!

Also, for the 60Gb HD, I was thinking about using a 5Gb partition for the OS (98se) and all programs, and using the other 55Gb for all of my audio files. Does this sound good?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!  ;)
Don't eat that.

ferds7

About your partitioning, I've heard that when using Windows XP, partitioning your hard drive can cause it to be slower.

Maximum PC magazined stated the reason in the following.

"Windows XP automatically puts the large files onto the outside edge of the drive where high seek times are mitigated by high throughput speeds. The smaller, more frequently accessed files use the inside edge of the disk platters, to take advantage of low access times. When you partition the drive into two pieces, you lose most of the advantages of this ordering scheme."

I'm guessing speed means a lot to you, since you are buying a 7200 rpm Hard drive. Also I suggest http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com for cooling supplies if you want high quality, quiet supplies. They're not the cheapest though. Anyways goodluck.

poast78

Thanks for the reply. I'll be sticking with 98se for the OS. Speed is important to me, but reliability is much much more so. I'm doing pro audio on this pc. Some recording, but mostly mixing from imported tracks (up to 50 at a time). I keep double checking and triple checking my system to be absolutely sure it will do the job with no problems.

I'm looking for as many opinions and tips as possible, so keep 'em comin'. Thanks.
Don't eat that.

dcsun

The specs look fine, but have you already planned for the video card, tower, sound card, network card, floppy, etc?

As for cooling, I've always just used a standard cpu fan (not the cheapest one, but nothing too fancy), and never had any problems.  I've also never used thermal tape/grease, other than the small square of tape that's on the bottom of the fan's heatsink.  You may want to make sure that the fan you get has rpm monitoring (3 connectors) instead of the standard two.  ASUS has excellent monitoring software, so this will allow it to detect any problems with the fan.

David

pat

As for a motherboard here are a couple of reviews you might find interesting if you haven?t read them already.
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1636
http://www17.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q2/020509/index.html
In the review from Toms Hardware explains why he thinks it is important to use CAS2 ram.

For some in put on cooling devices check this review.
http://www.anandtech.com/cooling/showdoc.html?i=1532

I have one of those Maxtor quiet drives and am very pleased with it, it performs well and is indeed very quiet.

For some input on cdrws you could take a look here.
http://www.cdrwcentral.com/modules.php?name=Reviews

I?m not sure how many programs you plan on putting on your computer but you might find a 5 gig partition a little tight over time.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

poast78

For a video card, I'm thinking about the ATI OEM RADEON VE 7000 32MB WITH DVI/ TV - OEM. It's nothing too fancy, but It should be plenty good for audio. Plus I think it has dual monitor support.

Floppy? I just figured they were all the same. So, no, I guess I havn't thought too much about it. Suggestions?

Tower? I was going to ask for suggestions on that later, but if it's important right away, than I'll take what I can get.

The soundcard is most likely going to be just an Audiophile 24/96, because I don't really do much tracking over here. It's perfect for transfering though.

Network card? Do I need one for something? This computer isn't going to be used for the internet at all. I don't even think I'll get a modem for it, unless it's the smart thing to do.

As you can see, this really isn't my forte. What I need is reliability and a decent amount of power. What I want is the power this system should get me. If I have to lose a couple of items to get that, so be it, but I'm hoping I can have both.

There you have it. Be gentle...  :-[
Don't eat that.

poast78

Thanks Pat.  :D
I'll check those links out and come back with some updates...
Don't eat that.

pat

I like the Chieftec/Antec performance and performance plus cases.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

dcsun

The only one of those you have to be careful of is the video card, and it sounds like the one you've picked will work just fine.  I only meant that you should consider all of those other parts when you're figuring out the final price, as they'll likely add 300-500 to the total.

David

poast78

Thanks DC.

Pat: I'm having trouble finding the importance of CAS2 on Tom's site. (Of course, I don't remember the last time I slept, so that could have something to do with it...)
Don't eat that.

pat

Whoops here it is, it was back in the
DDR333 For Athlon: VIA KT333 vs. KT266A review.
http://www17.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q1/020220/kt333-08.html

poast78

So than do you suggest this instead:
CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series CMX512-2700C2 PC2700 DDR RAM 333MHz w/ Heat Spreader - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=147&manufactory=1666&DEPA=1
Don't eat that.

pat

Ok this is what I think, bear in mind that I am certainly no expert on the subject.

If I were building a computer today and wanted to take advantage of the latest and greatest that was available and I read an article that showed performance advantages of using one kind of ram over the other than sure.

poast78

LOL!

I was actually wondering if that particular one would still be compatible with the ASUS. I'm not very good at interpreting all of those numbers.
Don't eat that.

pat

Yes, it should work in the Asus board.

dcsun

Ya, the ASUS specs aren't very clear about what memory is actually compatible, but I think it should work.  I'm sure we would have heard by now if it didn't support the DDR333.

David

poast78

Thanks everybody very much for your help! I'm going to go find all the remaining parts now and, if it's not too much trouble, poast them up for peoples final thoughts.
Thank you again. ;-)
Don't eat that.

pat

Sure no trouble at all.
Looking foward to see what you come up with.

John

poast78,  sounds like you got your hands full.  The only suggestion I have here is concerning a modem or NIC card.  I don't know how you connect to the internet but there may come a time when you may want to install an upgrade or driver file or something that you have no idea of today and you will want that modem or NIC card.  Just a thought.  
Cogito Ergo Sum

poast78

That's a good point John. I was also recently wondering about how the heck I would get the windows updates I'd need.
I know that most, if not all the drivers and updates I'd need could be burned to a CD, or copied to a floppy, and I could transfer it that way. However as far as I can tell, there's no way to possible do this with a Windows update, because it actually has to scan the computer, and then installs the downloads automatically. Well, I guess I'll have to do the internet thing.  :'(

Thanks for the tip.
Don't eat that.

poast78

I think this is it:

~$1,065 at Newegg.com

mobo
Asus VIA A7V333 KT333 Chipset ATX...........................$131
# A7V333

processor
AMD 1900+/266 FSB Athlon XP Processor CPU-OEM...............$117
# AX1900MT3C

ram
CORSAIR MEMORY XMS CMX512-2700C2 PC2700 DDR RAM 333MHz w/ Heat Spreader - OEM
# CMX512-2700C2                      $165

hd
MAXTOR D740X Quiet Drive 60GB 7200RPM OEM...................$96
# 6L060L3 -D740X

cd
PLEXTOR PX-W4012TA/SW 40x12x40 CD-RW - OEM..................$121
# PX-W4012TA-BPS

power supply
Antec 430W Power Supply TRUE430.............................$73
# TRUE430

case
Chieftec Server tower W/Clear window DX-01SLD...............$65
# DX-01SLD W

floppy
SAMSUNG 1.44MB FLOPPY DRIVE - OEM...........................$9
# SFD321B/LEB

modem
ENCORE ENF656-PCI-IN 56K INTERNAL PCI.......................$13
# ENF656-PCIE-IN

grease
COOLER MASTER THERMAL KIT RETAIL BOX........................$6
# PTK-001

moniter
eBay........................................................$???

video card
ATI OEM RADEON VE 7000 32MB WITH DVI/ TV - OEM..............$49

sound card
M-Audio Audiophile 24/96....................................$170

mouse/keyboard
????????...................................................~$50

I'm thinking I might need a couple more fans somewhere to make sure this thing stays cool, but I'm not sure. Am I missing anything? Will this survive, and perform for a long time (theoretically)?
Thank you.
Don't eat that.

pat

I would suggest getting the retail box processor. If you don?t plan on over clocking the heat sink and fan should be all you need to keep your processor cool. You also won?t need grease it comes equipped with tape. Plus it also comes with a 3-year warranty. When I put mine together that is what I used. Last week when temps were near the 100 degree mark, (no A/C) my processor temp got up to 54c now that temps are back down my processor temp is back to the 45c range.
On the monitor personally I would avoid e-bay and buy from a local retailer and save the shipping costs and get a real warranty.

You may find others here will have some suggestions also.
pat

poast78

Thank you. I marked that one down. It looks from the review that people are having some issues with heat. Not dangerously, but higher than recommended.
Don't eat that.

pat

Even if you decided to change out the H/S and fan down the road, you would still have the three year warranty.
I took a look at that case, nice.
I see it comes with two case fans, that should be enough, you could always add another if you didn?t think you were getting enough cooling. Keep in mind more fans more noise. I ended up replacing the fans that came with my Antec case with some quieter ones, the ones that came with mine were a little louder than I liked. I went with Papst fans that I bought at http://www.directron.com/ .

poast78

So it looks like I've found my next system... ;D
Thanks a lot for your help. If nobody says "NO!", this is what I will get (piece by piece, slowly).
Thank again!
Don't eat that.

dcsun

Sounds like a great system.  I'm looking at something similar to replace my 1.4 Athlon.

I would order the tower, motherboard, ram, processor, video card, hard drive, and cpu fan first (but not necessarily at the same time), so that you can put them all together and make it work.  You can then add all the other parts when finances allow.

Dave

poast78

Thanks for the OK and tip DC.  ;)
Business is slow right now. A friend of mine has had a really nice studio for a few years now, but has never done anything with it. He recently employed me, and I'll be sure to get the ball rolling. Sadly though, it will probably still be a couple of months before this system is completed and half the parts will probably be obsolete by then. Oh well, as long as it gets the job done.

I've been hearing quite a bit lately about people having problems with VIA chipsets when doing audio. Does anyone know anything about this?
Don't eat that.

scuzzy

You won't get high quality audio from an onboard chipset, but you will still get decent sound.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

scuzzy

For the case, you might want to consider the Antec Plus 880 (made by Chieftec), which comes with a preinstalled 430 watt True power supply.

It's available at mWave.com for $125.00 US plus S/H.

It's also available for $121 plus S/H from NewEgg.com.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

poast78

QuoteYou won't get high quality audio from an onboard chipset, but you will still get decent sound.
I know not to use onboard sound. What I mean is people having compatibility issues with VIA (like my motherboard) when using audio applications.

I'll have a look at that case. Thanks for the recommendation.
Don't eat that.