• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Looking for a case that is dust proof or close to it.

Started by ingeborgdot, August 08, 2008, 18:47 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

ingeborgdot

I know that computers need to have ventilation but I need to build a computer for someone that is not in the cleanest environment.  Is there such a case that can help with that situation.  Thanks.
Antec P182, Abit IP35 Pro, Q6600, 4GB Crucial Ballistix, Leadtek Winfast PX7900GSTDH, P & C silencer quad 750 watt, 3-Seagate Sata 500, HT Omega Claro, Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 THX, Digital Doc 5+, 2 Samsung SATA DVD burners, Canopus ADVC50,Vista Ultimate Retail 64 Bit, Vista rating 5.9

Buffalo2102

As you say, PC's need air circulation for cooling.  There are some good (and expensive) cases that incorporate good air filtering, but they are not really designed for very dirty environments and the filters would need changing often to avoid overheating.  On top of that, the filters would not help any optical drives much and they would soon become unusable in a very dirty environment.

Your best bet IMO would be a PC housed in the nearest clean environment and just extend the monitor/keyboard/mouse into the dirty environment using KVM extenders, if that is possible for your friend.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

ingeborgdot

I know no case is dust proof but I am trying to help it out with ideas like you gave me about filters.  I have heard about actual cases for the cases. 
This is actually a work environment.  They are around farm equipment, semi truck equipment etc.  They try to keep the room clean but doors open, dirty people come in and it just is not picture perfect for a computer.  He puts millions of dollars of info on the computer so I need to try as best I can to help the situation. 
I know keeping a computer on the floor is the dirtiest of all options, I was just thinking that maybe a smalled desktop option would be better.  Up on the desk where things have to be cleaner.
Antec P182, Abit IP35 Pro, Q6600, 4GB Crucial Ballistix, Leadtek Winfast PX7900GSTDH, P & C silencer quad 750 watt, 3-Seagate Sata 500, HT Omega Claro, Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 THX, Digital Doc 5+, 2 Samsung SATA DVD burners, Canopus ADVC50,Vista Ultimate Retail 64 Bit, Vista rating 5.9

halokid

1. well, ill just throw this out there... could someone seal a water cooling system near completely? like weather stripping the openings or caulking etc? and if they couldnt completely, how about a minimal airfilter intake w/fan plus a fan pushing out air with filter.

2. I suppose you could attach some vacumm hoses to the ends of the outake/intake fans and put some/use some holes in the building.

3. i would probably take my filters from something like from a ac filter or vacuum filter, core some holes for some tubing make some little thing so that you could replace the filters and use a glass door for the case so you could monitor your results. I would seal it up as much as i could with caulking so that if i had to open it i still could though.

4 im not sure how these would work as the usual instinct is to keep electronics from dirty enviroments

ingeborgdot

I decided on the Antec P180 as everything is pretty much sealed and it has filters on the front.  I just will have to clean them pretty often. 

ingeborgdot

The place is not a barn yard by any means.  I should make that clear.  I state that it is a dirty place but that is comparing to my place where I have to only clean out my computer about once a year if that.  I just needed something that has filters and no side vents and is solid and sealed well and that the Antec 180 can give me.