• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Is there a size limit for hdd total gb in xp and vista?

Started by ingeborgdot, November 06, 2007, 13:56 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

ingeborgdot

Antec P182, Abit IP35 Pro, Q6600, 4GB Crucial Ballistix, Leadtek Winfast PX7900GSTDH, P & C silencer quad 750 watt, 3-Seagate Sata 500, HT Omega Claro, Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 THX, Digital Doc 5+, 2 Samsung SATA DVD burners, Canopus ADVC50,Vista Ultimate Retail 64 Bit, Vista rating 5.9

Whizbang

Good question, but I have yet to be able to "Google" up an answer.   ???

Buffalo2102

You need to consider the file system, bus type etc., not just the OS when talking about max. storage sizes.

I believe the limit for a single basic volume is 2TB (NTFS).

If you use striped or RAID5 volumes the limit is 64TB.  There are separate limits that define this, like a maximum volume size of 2TB and a max total of 32 disks per volume.  If using RAID5, the limit is 62TB as 2TB is used for the parity imformation.

There are loads of other things to consider when looking at large amounts of storage though - the file system limits are affected by the cluster size that you use - the bus limits (no. of devices) of IDE, SATA compared to SCSI - the fact that you only have 26 drive letters (you can use mounted drives to get around that) - etc.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Whizbang

Thanks, Guru Bill, for the intensive enlightenment.   ;)  Reportedly, size is not a significant factor with Linux because the base from which it is constructed is so adaptive to many different file choices, ext, ext2, ext3, Reiserfs, ...etc, and growing.  However, I have not found a very large following for the terrabyte drive, whose main detractors after having purchased one simply say that they are too big; and the installation of which is a bit like a mature childless couple purchasing a hundred-room castle, only to remember that the only visits 90 of the rooms will see is an occasional vacuuming visit from the maid.   ;D

I have decided that multiple drives of much smaller capacity is the much safer and more practical approach.  Also, installing a mobile rack or two that allows instant removal of a SATA drive and instant removal at power down of an IDE drive is by far the most practical and low-wear solution I have found for storage drives, giving anyone the opportunity to have an unlimited number of storage units at quick retrieval capability.

Of course, it was also Bill Gates who said something to the effect that 500Kb should be big enough for anyone.   :o

Mark H

It is a bigger volume than I need, so I'm not worried about it.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.