• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Antivirus software for older laptops

Started by Norm, May 14, 2003, 11:31 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I have restored a couple of laptops for use by a church group - however due to their age, IBM 765 DX4-100 MHz, 40 MB RAM, 2 GB HD, and an IBM 765 XL Pentium 166 MHz MMx 64 MB of RAM, 2.1 GB HD,  I have installed Win95B in these systems, along with Office 97.  

Is there a reasonable antivirus program that wouldn't take too many system resources that would work in these systems?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

query

I can't guarantee it, but PCCillin, though it claims to need Windows98, has a corporate version called OfficeScan which still runs fine on our old 95 machines.

www.trendmicro.com

They have an evaluation version you can use to see if the software works, before you purchase it.

Norm

Thanks Query, I will download the evaluation copy and give it a try!

I will report back the results as these older laptops can still be put to good use, but should have some sort of antivirus protection!

lap-newbie

A free program you might consider is AVG Anti-virus. Check their website at www.grisoft.com. I have used it on everything from 486 to PIII systems, it runs great, can do daily scans, it will also do a bootup scan, check your email for viruses if you use the laptop online. You do have have to register to get the key number for install, but the program is free and updates are free also.

lucubration

I second the AVG for low resource use.  I run AVG on my old machine and Norton Corporate on my new one.  The free AVG 6 uses much less resources; the new AVG 7 however is reported to be almost as bad as Norton Corporate in terms of resource use.