• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

need help with my HP

Started by whtdouwnt, October 12, 2002, 22:39 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

whtdouwnt

I just got a HP Pavilion ZE 1210 laptop.  It has an athlon zp 1400+ processor, 256meg of ram, 20 Gig HD, dvd/cdrw.  Sometimes when I boot up it tells me that the config file is missing or corrupt.  It tells me to hit r to continue and it loads fine.  Also sometimes it loads then when it gets to the Windows screen it resets itself(Win XP).  When I get it loaded it tells me that there is a problem sending command to the keyboard but everything still works.  Finally I can't get it to shut down.  I do the start menu shutdown and it resets itself instead of shutting down and I end up having to just turn it off.  I tried using the restore disks to reinstall everything but it does not change anything.  HELP!!!

query

Run a full scandisk on the hard drive  -- it could be failing.

If that turns up nothing, do the problems get worse after the system is in operation for a while (i.e., it could be that the system is overheating)?

dcsun

In addition to Query's suggestions, I'd recommend that you run a thorough scan with an updated antivirus program, and run LavaSoft's AdAware to remove any adware/spyware.

Dave

Mr. E

You guys sure like to recommend Lavasoft's Adaware.  Dont blam you though been using since I was turned on to grc.com a great site I might add.  Anyway, it sounds like maybe overheating as query suggested.  But, incase you dont allready know here is a link how to recover corrupted registry on XP.

MSknowledge base  link repaired by John

Thks for the repair John  ;D