• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

panda diplomacy backfires

Started by Neon, January 08, 2006, 21:06 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Neon

Must say that I would be insulted, too.

China gift of pandas ?an insult? to Taiwan

QuoteThe pair, chosen from a pool of 23 candidates, were selected for their cuteness, character and compatibility after a series of genetic tests and trial marriages, Beijing officials said.

But while the Chinese and Taiwanese media indulged in an orgy of coverage, with revelations of the panda?s hobbies, star signs and favourite foods, Taipei reacted with anger.
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

Mark H

Quote from: Neon on January 08, 2006, 21:06 hrs
Must say that I would be insulted, too.

China gift of pandas ?an insult? to Taiwan

QuoteThe pair, chosen from a pool of 23 candidates, were selected for their cuteness, character and compatibility after a series of genetic tests and trial marriages, Beijing officials said.

But while the Chinese and Taiwanese media indulged in an orgy of coverage, with revelations of the panda?s hobbies, star signs and favourite foods, Taipei reacted with anger.

I agree that it is insulting. Of course Ace will hate this thread based on his Panda thoughts.  Maybe they should give the Pandas to Ace. ;)
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Bill

Why is it insulting?  Sounds like an act or offer of reconcilliation.   Skeptics don't help peace settlements.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

In a misguided, misanthropic mysoginistic misdirected mistaken attempt at good tidings for all, they probably thought they were doing a "nice" thing.  It's still wrong to wish a panda on anyone, even your enemies.

"Pick the cutest"...?  Let's go to the landfill and pick the "best looking pile."  Let's go to the Superdome and select "the most interesting stain."  Let's go find the needle in the medical waste, shall we.

MaHrk, if they did give the pandas to me it'd be two down and let's go find the other 23.  Plus, I am in no mood to reconcile with mainland China at the moment.  I know that's mean and counter to the meaning of the season and Scuzzy's birthday and all, but I am just not ready to get over their gross neglect of the environment and tendency toward communistic unionism.  Let alone jumping on the dang free enterprise bandwagon.

If Taiwan has rockets, they oughta send'em right back.  Have a couple incoming b&W greasy furballs come plummeting out of the sky over Beijing or Peking or whatever it is they're calling their cities this week.  I saw that the last of the "Gang of Four" died last week.  I thought that band broke up in the 80's.  

I sort of look at peace overtures from China to Taiwan like a grizzly offering a paw to a salmon.   But even that would be better than a dang panda.  I tell ya, if bamboo moved those things would starve.

Ace; I noticed the trash I put out today had a lot of "character."

Ring bells for service.