• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by scuzzy, October 10, 2001, 14:41 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

Your Compaq computer probably has an older BIOS that does not recognize the CD-ROM unless the driver (usually MSCDEX.EXE) is loaded on the hard drive, and the command is loaded into the CONFIG.SYS. Unless you're knowledgeable in DOS, this will take quite a bit of hand-holding.

You mentioned that you can't format the hard drive. What have you tried to do to get it formatted? Do you have a boot floppy with the format command? If you can't access the CD-ROM, you'll definitely need a boot floppy that also has FORMAT, MSCDEX, and a few other commands on it.

http://www.poasters.com/images/scuzzy.gif" border=0>

Alex Garcia
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Chandler

Many versions of the Windows CD-ROM are bootable themselves.  You just pop the disk in, then set the computer to boot from the CD-ROM first in the BIOS setup.

The problem with making a boot disk yourself is that you need to know which DOS drivers your device can use.  I once made one that was ATAPI compatible, yet I encountered a Hitachi ATAPI drive that refused to work with it.

There are instructions here: http://www.hildrum.com/boot_disk.html

As for formatting, you might need to set a partition as active before you can format it.

Chandler Bing

computercare

I am trying to load WIN 95 onto a Compaq Presario 866. I have fdisked the hard drive and I am having trouble getting it to format also. I am booting the computer with a WIN 98 boot disk and it won't read the CD ROM. Any help will be great...

computercare
computercare