• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by Joanie, September 29, 2001, 13:22 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Joanie

Thanks patman for that information. I will stay with version 2001 and update for 10.00 when the time comes.

Joanie

http://www.poasters.com/images/rahrahsm.gif  " border=0>

pat

Yep, me too.

Even that's no bargin if I remember right it only used to cost 3.95.

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Joanie

Yo patman,

The 3.95 was such a good deal but with all the bugs they have to chase down today I can understand the increase. I don't like it but I understand.

Joanie

http://www.poasters.com/images/rahrahsm.gif  " border=0>

Karen

I can personally vouch for NAV 2001 being a good product.  Saved my pc just last week when I received the W95.Hybris.gen worm via e-mail:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w95.hybris.gen.html

I have NAV set to automatically scan all in-coming POP 3 mail through the proxy.  NAV caught the in-coming worm immediately and put it in quarantine.  From quarantine I was able to delete it from my system without incident.

Karen

I'm at that awkward stage...somewhere between the young and the restless, and the old and the senseless.   ;)

Karen

This file: "Unknown0fd9.data" was infected with the: "WScript.KakWorm.dr" virus. The file was quarantined by Norton AntiVirus. Tuesday, October 02, 2001 22:05

Geesh, some luck I've been having the past couple of weeks.  Received another worm this evening.  This time it was "WScript.KakWorm.dr" virus:  http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/wscript.kakworm.html

Luckily, NAV caught it once again and put it in quarantine where I could safely delete it.

Fortunately, this time I was able to track down the sender and have notified them.  Unfortunately, they had already spread it to half the people in their Outlook Express address book by way of a forwarded infected e-mail attachment entitled "Friends".  

My friend is elderly and a new PC user.  Her PC was put together by a retired neighbor and does not have any anti-virus software.  Of course, her PC is infected now too.  Tomorrow she and I will be shopping for NAV and "disinfecting" her system.

Karen

Two thumbs up for NAV!  

Edited by - Karen on Oct 02 2001  9:33:09 PM
I'm at that awkward stage...somewhere between the young and the restless, and the old and the senseless.   ;)

n/a

Karen, at the risk of sounding dumb, how do you have NAV set up to scan your e-mail? I'm running NAV 2000 and that option escapes me, unless it's the All Files option.

http://www.poasters.com/images/bear.gif" border=0>

Karen

Hi Bear,

"All files" won't do it.  The e-mail auto protect/scan feature has to be configured.  NAV should have prompted you with this option when it was initially installed.  If not or if you didn't select the option, it can be configured at any time.  I currently have NAV 2001 on a broadband connection, but used NAV 2000 when still on dial-up.  If I remember correctly, the set-up is the same. My current e-mail client is POP 3 using Outlook Express 6.0.  

Basically,  the NAV e-mail auto protect/scan redirects your incoming e-mail to the Norton POP 3 server where it is scanned and then forwarded to your e-mail client.  Although this is a redirect and adds an extra step before you receive your mail, my experience has been the delay is only 1 - 2 seconds per e-mail using a broadband connection.  Dial-up was slightly slower, but still just a matter of a few seconds.  Well worth the wait!  You can tell e-mail is being scanned as a yellow envelope icon with magnifying glass appears in your system tray.  If a virus is found, a NAV pop-up window is displayed showing the name of the virus and infected e-mail/attachment and asking what action you want to take (dependent upon the settings used when configured).

Below is info direct from NAV as to configuration and supported e-mail clients.  As an alternative, there are excellent on-line tutorials on the Symantec site:  http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/nav/nav2000_info_tutorial.html

"The Email Protection settings allow you to control email protection and select your email client program. You also select the response you want from Norton AntiVirus when an infected attachment is found in an email message.

Norton AntiVirus Main Window For Email Status

The Norton AntiVirus main window with Email Status selected lets you manage the email protection on your system:

The list box displays the names of each of your email clients.

To enable protection for an email client, check its box.

To disable protection for an email client, check its box.

Norton AntiVirus recognizes and automatically configures the following email clients for protection:

Microsoft Outlook Express 4.0/5.X

Microsoft Outlook 97/98/2000

Netscape Messenger 4.X

Eudora Light 3.0

Eudora Pro 4.0

Pegasus Mail 3.0

Becky! Internet Mail 1.26

AL-Mail32 1.11

Norton AntiVirus supports the following email clients, but they must be manually configured:

PostPet

Any other POP3 email client, including many shareware clients

Norton AntiVirus does not support the following non-POP3 email clients:

Exchange Server clients

IMAP clients

AOL clients

Web-based email, such as Hotmail and Yahoo! Mail

Norton AntiVirus works with Secure Password Authentication on POP3 clients. It does not work with other protocols such as X400 (used by Microsoft Exchange Server), IMAP, AOL, and HTTP.

To configure a manually configured email client for protection

If your email client program is not listed in the Email Protection options list you may manually configure your client to work with Norton AntiVirus.

1 Click Options on the Norton AntiVirus main window.

2 Navigate to Internet > Email Protection > Advanced.

3 Check Enable Manual Configuration.

4 Click OK to save settings and exit the Options dialog box.

5 Configure your email client to use the new settings shown below.

SETTING NAME

Incoming POP3 Server

CURRENT SETTINGS (EXAMPLE)

mail.ispname.com

NEW SETTINGS (BASED ON EXAMPLE)

Pop3.norton.antivirus

or

SETTING NAME

User name

userid

userid/mail.ispname.com

or

SETTING NAME

Outgoing SMTP Server

mail.ispname.com

mail.ispname.com

See your email client?s documentation for instructions on changing these settings.

? 1994-2001 Symantec Corporation. All rights reserved."

Wow, that's a lot of info and looks a little complicated.  Trust me, it's not nearly as complicated to configure as the above text makes it out to be.

I highly suggest everyone with NAV (or any other anti-virus software that supports auto e-mail protection) configure the e-mail protect feature...sooner or later a virus is sure to come your way.  

Karen

Karen

Hey, I think I just tied with Ace for longest reply poasted.

http://www.poasters.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1340

Karen  

n/a

Well, here's a DUH for you, Karen. My NAV is version 5.0, no option for e-mail scanning. No wonder. Should have checked. Sheesh.

So I'm downloading the upgrade to NAV 2002 now. Theoretically. Fingers crossed.

Sorry I put you to all that trouble, and thanks for getting me off my rear to upgrade.

http://www.poasters.com/images/bear.gif" border=0>

Karen

No trouble at all, Bear.  Think nothing of it.  I'm more than happy to pass on any info that may be of some use.  

I look at it this way.  If the info happens to help even one user, it's worth the little bit of time it took to poast.  You decided to upgrade your NAV...so that's a plus.  Someone else may do the same...which could ultimately save them a lot of frustration and/or time should a virus find it's way to their PC.  

Karen

pat

Thought I'd pass this on,

http://www.zdnet.com/products/stories/pipreviews/0,8827,533690,00.html

Unless your going to use xp looks like no reason to upgrade.

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64