• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

MaxBlast is Still Amazing

Started by Whizbang, September 04, 2005, 11:25 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizbang

I suppose I would not be saying that if Maxtor had developed the program.  Essentially, the same program is labeled accordingly under the other hard drive manufactureres names by the developer, OnTrack.  I just saved Win2000 from a "C:" drive designation to a storage partition on another drive.  I did not realize that it was on a partition following a Win 98 "C:" drive installation.  When the transfer was finished, which required less than two minutes, a message was displayed that stated that there were no errors and that the partition had been made bootable.  That meant that the boot.ini file had been created and added to the Win 98 partition for dual booting.  I have yet to see if there are any bugs, but just the concept of a free utility making an installed OS bootable to an already installed OS was a big surprise.

The really amazing thing about OnTrack's utilities us that you do not need to shut down antivirus or software firewall programs.  Just do not do any work while making the transfer.  The copying back to the active partition is the hard part.  It must be done by the floppy based version of the program at bootup and usually requires the better part of an hour.  Since I can go eat breakfast or fiddle with somethong else during that time, it is no big deal, as long as there is no REA power glitch.