• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Missing Memory?

Started by mbaldw, September 24, 2008, 15:11 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

mbaldw

Hi folks,

I was recently on the Crucial Memory website and thought I'd run a scan of my system to see which RAM it recommended.   To my surprise it came up and told me that I only had 1GB currently installed.   Going into System Information, it too told me that I have 1,028MB of RAM installed (although intriguingly, it reckoned I had 1.38GB free!).   Carrying on I checked the figure given by DXDIAG and by right-clicking on My Computer and selecting properties - both of these told me I had 2GB installed, which is what I see when I take the cover off!   I've posted a screenshot of the various screens here.   Any idea why some screens (Crucial included) think I have half the amount that I can see physically installed?   All I can think of it that it has something to do with the dual channel slot (1GB per channel).   Can anyone enlighten me?

Cheers,
Marc.

halokid

I would say thats its either how much memory you set aside for your Video card...(or integrated) or perhaps the ms tool is using the wrong method to calculate it as seen in this article here>http://kbalertz.com/950233/Microsoft-System-Information-reports-incorrect-amount-physical-memory-Windows-Server-computer-physical-memory-installed.aspx

mbaldw

Thanks Halokid.   My graphics card isn't integrated; its an nVidia PCI.   So, I reckon it's probably an error with the MS Tool.   I'm not too concerned about it, as I can see that there are physically 2GB installed and some parts of Windows recognise that.   I just found it curious.

Cheers,
Marc.