• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

How to format a second hard disk?

Started by Traveller, May 26, 2008, 07:19 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Traveller

Hi All.

Yes, I know I've poasted here about this years ago and successfully managed to format a second hard disk, but I've forgotten an important part.

I followed Scuzzy's tutorial on the previous occasion but can't remember how I can make sure that the second disk is being formatted and not my own master disk. I don't want to delete my full hard disk by mistake! Scuzzy's tutorial instructs to type FDISK at the DOS prompt and then choose various options. Is the FDISK at the DOS Prompt part to be done via my main master disk that I don't want to delete?

Thanks for any help.

Buffalo2102

One way is to Google BartPE and you will find plenty of help to create a BartPE bootable CD or even USB drive.  Then you can boot to this with only the new HDD installed and format it.

I recommend creating this CD anyway as it is a very useful recovery tool to have, especially when trying to sort out virus/malware issues.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Traveller

Thanks Buffalo2102.

I think I've got a dead second disk. Will try with another one and see if that works.

Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds quite useful.

pat

Also, if you're using XP or Vista, you can use the disk management tools found in the administrative tools section of the control panel. 
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Traveller

Thanks Pat. Yes, I came across that when I was searching for an answer via search engine. I think a W98 start up disk should do the trick. Well for a working disk, that is!

Traveller

I'm stuck again!

I am able to get to the point where the following message appears:

'You must restart your system for your changes to take effect. Any drives you have created or changed must be formatted after you restart.

Shut down Windows before restarting.

Press Escape to exit FDisk'

What do I do at this stage?

Press the restart button on the computer?
Shut down by holding down the power button and then pressing it again to start up?
Leave the startup disk inside or take it out?

When I get to the A:\ prompt again and type Format C (C is the drive) and press Enter, it says 'Bad Command'.

Thanks.

pat

Been a really long time since I've used a dos utility, but yes leave the disk in the drive and the restart switch should be ok.

Are you just trying to determine if the drive is bad? If so, check the drive makers website for the utility to check the drive for errors. 

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

scuzzy

Did you create a system diskette with at least the FORMAT command added? If you did, the correct command to enter at the command prompt is:

FORMAT C:
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Traveller

Pat, no, I wanted to install Linux on it.

Scuzzy, I don't know; it's just a Windows startup disk that was created in the normal way, i.e. let Windows make it. I did enter Format C: but it stated 'bad command'.

Because I got as far as the point where I got to, the drive showed up in My Computer, so I just right clicked it and chose to format. It worked that way, but it only took a few seconds, so I'm wondering if it was done correctly.

I think maybe there is something wrong with this disk as well because the Linux keeps stalling during the initial startup check.

I'll try yet another disk and see how it goes!

Thanks all.

pat

If you are going to install a linux distribution I would suggest you do not format the drive. Let linux do it as part of the installation process, just make sure you select the correct drive or partition when asked during the installation process.

What version of linux are you going to try?

Traveller

Thanks Pat.

I'll probably check out the latest version of the old one I told you about (see 'Broadband on two hard disks' thread for the exact name and version).

Apart from that I haven't really delved into it that much yet so I'm open to any suggestions as to which ones are currently known for stability, etc.

I've had a look around on the web for Linux websites, however, I haven't yet come across one that explains the basic fundamentals yet AND in baby language yet!!!!

Thanks.

pat

Ubuntu would be a good one to start with, they have good documentation at their site as well as a good support forum.

You may want to browse Distrowatch , they list a very many linux versions and links to them.

Traveller

OK, thanks Pat. What is involved in installing my broadband on Linux anyway? Is it as simple as going through a wizard or will I have to learn some Linux code?

Thanks.

pat

Every time I've installed a version of Linux my broadband (network adapter) has been detected during installation and all settings were automatically configured.

Just run through setup a couple of times to get a feel for it. Disconnect your main drive and connect a blank drive and give it a go.

Traveller

Hi Pat.

Unfortunately, my modem is currently connected via USB. I've come across the following webpage which states that some USB connections may be supprted.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsbAdslModem/ueagle-atm#head-adb4d3bd0b8466b239f7e82ca98394c2fa933441

However, I cannot try anything out at the moment because Linux won't boot. I have installed it successfully (or so I thought) on two separate hard disks. Upon restarting at the end of the process, the full installation loads with the Ubuntu desktop and everything works perfectly, BUT at the next startup, during the boot up process a whole load of errors are listed and it doesn't start.

Uncompressing Linux: Ok, booting the kernel.

Mount: Mounting dev/hda1 on root failed: No such device
Mount: Mounting root/dev on /dev/ .static/dev failed: No such file or directory
Mount: Mounting sys on/root/sys failed: No such file or directory
Mount: Mounting proc on/root/proc failed: No such file or directory

Target file system doesn't have /sbin/init

/bin/sh: cam't access tty: job control turned off.

Why does is work fine immediately upon installation and then not boot at any consequent times?? I have used an original Ubuntu CD.

Update: Sometimes, it gets as far as the screen with the Ubuntu logo with a scrolling list of various checks on drivers, etc underneath.

Another update: I managed to figure out the only way to get Linux to load: Remove my other hard drive (W98SE)  and replace it with the Linux hard drive. Even completely disconnecting the W98SE hard drive and setting the Linux hard drive as the first boot device doesn't work! Only works if the W98SE hard drive is replaced with the Linux one!!

I want to be able to leave both hard drives in the computer and choose whichever one I want to boot into, not keep having to replace them all the time!! This hasn't got anything to do with jumper settings, does it?

Thanks.