• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Streaming Flash Video

Started by Traveller, January 22, 2008, 09:58 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Traveller

Hi All.

(W98SE.)

My computer is running out of space, so when I try to play a flash video at a website, it stops after a short while due there not being enough space on my disk.

Question 1 is, is there anyway I could use my second disk (used for storage only) to stop the above from happening, for example, can I tell my flash player to use space on the second disk for it's stream instead of holding it on my main drive?

Question 2 is, there is a certain amount of space left on my disk. I played a streamed video and even though I have stopped the video and restarted the pc, the amount of space left has decreased as if the video stream still remains on my pc. Where do I go to delete whatever amount of video has been downloaded?

Thanks.

pat

Not exactly sure about #1, but for #2 you may be able to clear enough space by keeping your temporary internet file/cache cleared. If you do have space left on your disk you should be able to allocate more space to temporary files/cache as well.

I use a program called CCleaner to keep my system cleaned up. Been using it for a few months now and it seems to do a good job keeping accumulated junk under control. I do not use the registry cleaning feature included with the program. I'm just not comfortable with registry cleaners, some may work, but some may cause more problems than they are worth, but for keeping other types of files from piling up this program works well.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Traveller

Thanks Pat.

There is nothing in my Temp or Temporary Internet folders as I often clear them out.

I've installed and run your recommended program and it cleared about 15MB. Thanks for the tip. Maybe the flash files were removed also. I'll just wait and see.

Thanks.

pat

What browser do you use?

I use Firefox and have the Video Download Helper extension installed. This works pretty good for capturing clips from Youtube and other sites, not sure if it would work with flash or even if some of the clips are flash, but you could try. There may also be some type of software out there that captures flash for later playback.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Traveller

I use Firefox as well. I think I've used Video Download Helper, but it didn't work as I wanted it to. I think this is probably due to my pc, which needs replacing asap.

Thanks Pat.

Carskick

Another recommendation: Change your paging file so it is on your storage drive instead of your C:. To do this, right click on my computer, click properties. Go to the advanced tab, and click the settings button in the performance section. Go to the advanced tab, and click the change button. Highlight c:, and change both initial and max to 0, the click set. then highlight the storage drive, and type in the sizes that you want your paging file to be, and click set. You can use the same numbers that were already there if you don't know what this means, just now they are on your storage drive, not your main drive.

Click ok, and restart your computer to take effect.
Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick

Traveller

Thanks Carskick; will give it a try.