• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

XP does not recognize Olympus 380-D Camera

Started by Whizbang, February 21, 2004, 20:07 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizbang

I tried downloading some pics to computer, but XP does not recognize camera and says that the device must be defective.  I thought XP did everything but cook apple pie.  What is the problem?

query

Digital cameras usually require installing TWAIN drivers before you connect the camera - did you get those from Olympus and install them?

Whizbang

No, but 2000 recognizes it immediately and then installs the drivers automatically.  I had formatted and reinstalled 2000 on my backup and just now plugged camera in and had 2000 detect the new "drive" and download the pics.

Chandler

Olympus say that the 380 is supported in Windows XP using the drivers included with the OS.

What USB controller do you have?  SiS are known to cause problems without a patch being installed (under XP).

One thing that I've found is that XP can be a bit funny when installing drivers by itself.  Sometimes it does it automatically, sometimes you have to manually point to a folder, sometimes you have to manually point to a folder and get it to search, and sometimes you have to manually select the driver from a list. ::)

miko

xp can also be a little picky (or perhaps the cameras) when it comes to some usb devices.

some need to be attached before adding the drivers, some need their drivers installed before being attached.

its definitely a driver problem that your having. if your sure you have the correct most up to date drivers then connect the camera, go into device manager and delete/uninstall any usb root hubs. reboot the computer with the camera still attached and reinstall the drivers for both the root hub and camera.

pat

My Kodak DC 3400 was/is also a little temperamental when it came to downloading images into XP. My fix was to make sure the camera was turned on and in download mode before connecting the cable to the USB port. I really don't know why that would make a difference as opposed to just plugging it in and turning in on, but whatever works.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Mark H

If you are using a card for your images, the best option is to get a USB 2.0 card reader. This is usually faster than downloading from the camera and it saves the camera's batteries for taking pictures.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

miko