• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

how to install a firewire card

Started by ali_farhan1984, December 08, 2003, 05:35 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

ali_farhan1984

can anybody help me with some information with installing a firewire card?

thanks

slaxorz

Firewalls can be either software or hardware.  If you use a router you do not need to bother with a firewall.  If you dont use one you need a firewall software such as zone alarm, or mcafee firewall. they dont really cost to much so either way is a bargain

ali_farhan1984

not firewall - but firewire cards (which you use for digital camcorders)

query

Should be straightforward - make sure you have the drivers for your operating system (Windows98SE and up provide firewire support as standard).

All you need is an open PCI slot - preferably not the one immediately adjacent to the AGP slot.

Mark H

You need to open your PC and remove the plate that is located behind the slot you want to install the card. Try to leave empty slots between cards if possible for air flow. Do this with the computer off and unplugged. Once you get the card installed, plug in the computer and turn it on. Windows should find the hardware and install the driver or ask you for a disk to install the driver.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Chandler

It's very important to stress the point unplugged since modern (ACPI) motherboards usually keep the PCI slots powered even when the system is "off" to allow for wake-on-LAN and/or wake-on-ring support.

Mark H

Quote from: Chandler on December 08, 2003, 12:35 hrs
It's very important to stress the point unplugged since modern (ACPI) motherboards usually keep the PCI slots powered even when the system is "off" to allow for wake-on-LAN and/or wake-on-ring support.

Yep, very true. Good thing you poasted this in case it gets lost in the paragraph format of my answer.
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

slaxorz

lol im an idiot good thing i can read huh

ali_farhan1984

thanks for your help - i've installed it.