• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

XMS memory problem

Started by Nestor, November 18, 2003, 15:39 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Nestor

In my class, i was given a 386 to diagnose and then later upgrade as part of my training. During this training, I Am required to install windows 95 on said 386, which not so daunting a task as i originally thought. The problem is that I have a limited amount of XMS memory, and I have two options availiable to me, both of which failed. The options being Install from a ParaSCSI CD ROM (can't, it eats up my XMS memory and leaves nothing for windows setup)
Or copy the CABS and install from the CABs, which i cannot due, becuase certain errors on my hard drive corrupt the file data. can anyone give me a new agle to aproach this issue?
AMD 3200+ KT-6 Delta, 120GB WD HDD, 160GB WD HDD, (4) 300GB Seagate SATA HDD NVidia 6800FX (256MB) 1GB PC3200 Mushkin RAM

query

What errors are surfacing on the hard drive?

Nestor

Well, When i formatted the HDD, it let me know that there was bad clusters. When i later used SpinRite, it identifed the clusters (Most of which it says are irrepairable). I'm beginning to think that a replacement HDD is the best option, but my instructor will make the request for a new HDD an adventure through broken glass, brimstone, and noisy kittens.
AMD 3200+ KT-6 Delta, 120GB WD HDD, 160GB WD HDD, (4) 300GB Seagate SATA HDD NVidia 6800FX (256MB) 1GB PC3200 Mushkin RAM

query

Yes, you need a new drive.  Otherwise, the installation will fail.

Nestor

Some new information: My research into this problem says that a low level format will define and 'isolate' the HDD errors... Should I do this?