• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Packard Bell PC Down

Started by Albert, August 30, 2003, 11:06 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert

I would please like to know if anyone could help me get my PB610 running again.  I purchased this computer in the summer of 1995.  I used it only for high school and college reports.  The spring of 2000 was the last time I used it.  It always ran perfectly.  I never once had any problems with it.  I then stored it in my closet.  This year when I brought it back out to make copies of my reports, the welcome message did not come up.  The computer is working because it does come on.  I get like a DOS page (I'm not sure what page this is) and it asks you to fill in a bunch of questions about the computer I can't answer.  It can be programed pass 2000.  Is there a way to get the system going again?  I thank you very much for responding to this request.

Thank you,
Albert

The hard drive number is PB414A
The manufacture's number is 840616152111151490
Desor is PB6110
Srv cd id 12-06409

The monitor's manufacture number is PB85375V6A
The serial number is 1985431  6807A
BPCS  is 010197002  

query

Exactly what comes up on screen when you try to boot the system - the exact error messages will help.

Albert

A Phoenix A486 version 1. 1.01E screen comes up.  The screen says diskette drive B failure.  Time of day not set - run SETUP program.  Invalid configuration information.  Please run SETUP program.  Press F1 key to continue, F2 to run SETUP utility.  I don't remember which button I pressed, but I could not answer the information it wanted.  Could you please give me any instructions that may help me.  I tried changing just the date, but it would not enter the information into the prgram.  It seems like it's just stopped in the setup program.  Where do I go from this screen?  I can not thank you enough for looking into this.
Thank You!
Albert  

query

Start by replacing the CMOS battery, if possible - it is dead.  If it is replaceable, it will be visible on the system board somewhere or detailed in the manual.

Many systems of that vintage use integrated clock-battery modules, which require soldering skills to replace - for a system that age, the cost involved ($30 plus an hour's labor) is likely not going to be cost-effective - you can buy used PIII systems for $100 or so, so it won't pay to repair a system of that age and type.

Whizbang

CMOS battery was my first instant guess too.  I have a PBell Legend Supreme 1510 "flat-pack," upgraded to the max since purchase on close-out "special" in 1996 that would pay for two AMD 2200+ systems now.  If you are lucky, you probably will need only a jeweler's Philips screwdriver, good eyesight, and a steady hand; but it is not hard to replace if you don't sneeze.   CMOS battery should be about the size of a nickel.

Albert

I thank all of you for your quick help!  I've not found in my manual where this battery is located.  I did find information in my manual about CMOS that is asked in the ACC3221 I/O Controller configuration screen.  When I press F1 I'm told no boot device is available.  It also says standard cmos checksum invaild, standard cmos defaults were loaded, extended cmos checksum system configuration invalid, and review all configuration settings.  Then, in F2 the first problem I have is with the time.  There are three fields and I'm not certain which is for seconds.  The book says only the hours and minutes fields can be changed; the seconds field can be reset to :00.  The last field is for seconds?  The only other thing I can find that does not match the book settings is the Diskette A drive.  My A diskette reads: 5.25", 360 KB  and the book states 1.44MB.  There is nothing in the second drive field.  It has an intel 485X/25 microprocessor, 170 MB hard drive, and 4 MB of RAM.  From this can you tell if I have 1.44 MB or 5.25MB?  I know there's just a 3.5 disk inserter.  So could this be the problem?  The wrong diskette drive size?  If I do or do not change this how do I exit setup, F4?  If you still think it's the battery where do you get one and how much does it cost.  Thank you so much for your time spent looking into this matter.
Many thanks,
Albert

query

If the battery is a small CR-2032 lithium unit, it costs about $3 at any Wal-mart, CVS, Radio Shack, etc.

If it's a specialized type of battery, it may cost more - up to $45-50, or if there's no battery evident, it's part of clock-calendar battery.

You can reset the CMOS to match your configuration  -- type and number of floppies, hard drive type (may not be auto-configuring as new drives are;  check the label on the drive).  However, without a replacement battery, when you power off the system, it will lose the changes you make.

Albert

Thank you so much!  Would the battery be in the area of the hard drive where there is a circle vent area which blows air out.  There's something in the vent area that looks like a battery.

Whizbang

There really is no way to tell, but it likely will be very shiny and will probably be the CR-2032 as mentioned by Query and will be lying flat on the motherboard and probably have a small metal strap across it to hold it in place.  The mini-screw/bolt is on the one end of the strap.  If this does not define it, you may have the old expert-replace-only unit.  My guess is still with the CR-2032 or similar wafer.  Check with a magnifying glass.  At my age, that is the only way I can work on my computer at all.

query

It'll be on the system board somewhere - either near the power supply or near the BIOS chip.  If it's not a lithium battery, it may be a rectangular battery pack with a cable connecting it to the board.

If there is no battery evident, look for a chip labeled Dallas Semiconductor  -- the battery will be inside it, along with the clock chip.  The whole unit then needs replacement - and it does require soldering to do the job.

Albert

Thank you so much for your help!  I'll see what I can find today!

Sincerely,
Albert

Albert

I found a diagram of the motherboard in connectors and jumpers, which shows a box where a battery is located.  On the diagram J24 is located above the battery.  I've found J24 and under it is a rectangle black box, which according to the diagram should be the battery.  The rectanglar box reads: Dallas DS12885S9314A2.  Is this the battery?  It will require soldering to get it?
 But right next to the very end of the long side of the power supply box is a rather large blue battery; it has positive and negative stickers on it.  This reads Varta Ni/Cd 3/v60R 3.6v 60 ma_ 14h 6ma  033.  Is this the right one?  If so how do you remove it?
Thank you!
Albert

query

The Dallas module is difficult to replace.  The other battery pack is rechargeable and should be more easily replaceable.  If it's hard-connected to the mainboard, it will require soldering to replace.

Radio Shack or a similar store may have a replacement for it - be careful with it if it's leaking;  it's a NiCd battery and the contents are toxic.  It should not cost more than $20 to replace it, but you'll need a soldering iron to do the job.

Albert

Thank you again for all your help!  There is a wire going from the blue battery down into board.  There's one other thing I noticed while looking for the battery, I have a  ribbon with three connectors, where one ribbon is not connected to anything.  One connector is at J19, the other one goes into the disk drive box, and the other is loose.  The loose one should  be connected at J14, or is it for a second drive that I don't have?  I don't know much about computers.  If it's just the battery, there is a little bit of white powder on the battery, so do you think replacing the battery is all it would that to get the pc running again?  
Again thank you so much for your time!  

query

The system should power up even without a functional battery - you will need to enter the setup information for the drive, but the system should run.  Without a functional battery, you'll need to repeat the configuration every time you power the system on.

It is not possible to tell what goes where without a schematic of the mainboard -- if nothing was moved before you stored the machine, chances are it's just the battery that is faulty.  If the hard drive spins up, the system should function.

Albert

I'm sorry I do not understand what you are telling me.  When you say the system should start up without a functional battery, do you mean without a Ni/Cd battery and by start up do you mean when I exit start up the computer should go back to windows?  I know I only have one disk drive and it takes 3.5" floppy disks.  So in the set up should my diskette drive read 1.44?  The drive reads 5.25".  I left it at 5.25 and changed the date, when I did this, it would not accept the changes.  Should I try changing the size to 3.5"?  Or is the battery the reason why I lose the changes?  Now are you saying it should go back to windows without a replacement battery?

Albert

P.S. I just got the loose connector head to fit on J14.  Could this fix it?  lt went on smoothly like that's where it belonged.

query

It may solve one issue, but the battery (or batteries) is/are dead - those will have to be replaced.

Albert

Whizbang

I checked the model number on line.  If this is in the 600 series (It may change just before 609H), the battery is square/rectangular with wires and is available at this site:

http://www.partsolver.com/Product.asp?InventoryID=2929763&SubstitutePart=False&ModelManufacturer=Packard%20Bell&ModelNumber=PB600&ModelID=173878

Model Manufacturer: Packard Bell
Model Number: PB600
Name: 3.6 volt Lithium CMOS battery
Description: Universal PC battery. Rectangular with wires and 4 pin connector.
Part Number: B-220
Part Type: Aftermarket
Shipping Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours
Price: USD $13.46

Albert

Thank you so much for finding this replacement battery!
Albert

Whizbang

Be sure to confirm battery type by visually checking first!  There was a switchover about this time.

Albert

Thank you for the tip!
Albert