• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

WScript: Computer runs low on memory

Started by mk001, May 04, 2003, 12:19 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

query

Did you follow the manual removal instructions from the link on the Trend Micro site above?

mk001

Hi,
No I haven't tried the manual instructions. I will try that today evening and let you know.
Thanks!
MK

query

You need to run the manual removal to stop the processes from running.  Then run the Trend System Cleaner and it should get the rest of the infected files.

mk001

I am trying the manual instructions. I clicked Start->Run->Regedit. It says "cannot find the file regedit. Make sure all components (or libraries) are available." Same goes for sysedit...
Any inputs?
Thanks
MK

query

Sounds like those files were hit by the virus and infected irreversibly.  

At this point, back up your data, boot the system from a locked virus-free Windows boot floppy containing the format command, and format the hard drive.  Then boot from the Windows CD and reinstall Windows -- if you have a reasonable hardware set, it might be time to think about an upgrade to Windows XP -- that is, a 500 MHz processor or better, and 256 MBytes RAM or more - along with supported  hardware.

Windows 98 support ends in about six weeks (June 30, 2003 it goes end of life).

mk001

Do you know of a way to override the admin password that is enabled to enter the F2 setup during boot. I hope this step is not required while reformatting.
Thanks
MK

query

If it's a desktop PC, it should be a matter of using a jumper or switch on the board.  If the PC is not yours, please ask the owner before proceeding, whether that's a parent, or an employer.

mk001

It is a desktop PC. I bought it from a previous owner who apparently had a password there and doesn't remember it now.

Will I need to enter the setup while reformatting and reinstalling windows?

How do I get a jumper/switch, and what is the procedure to get it hooked up on the board?

THanks for being patient:-)
MK

query

You may or may not need to change the CMOS setup - if the system isn't set to boot from the CD and you need to, you'll need access.

Your system manual or mainboard manual will have details on how to reset the password.  The procedure for doing so varies widely by system.

mk001

I am now saving my imp. data from the comp. I noticed that I don't have the installation CDs for my Mustek Scanner, Bjc Canon Printer.
Do you think I would be able to get the drivers from the web while reinstallation?
Thanks
MK

query

Download them first, before you being the re-install.

mk001

Alright..Thanks, will bug you a bit more when I actually do the reformatting and reinstallation tomorrow evening.

THANKS

MK

mk001

Hi,
I have one more question before reformatting. I have a Windows 98 and also a Windows 2000 CD. Do you think I should go ahead with installing Win2000? Do you think I have to follow any special procedure here, since I currently have Win98>

Thanks
MK

query

If you have a fast enough processor and enough RAM (a PII/350 and 256 MB or more), plus you have hardware that is supported, I'd go with Windows 2000 as long as all your other software can handle it.

mk001

I have fast enough processor, and have PIII and more. I however don't know whether all my software can handle it.
Do you think I would run into any installation issues with Win2000 given I had Win98 before?
Thanks
MK

mk001

Hi !!
I reformatted my system and installed Win98. Thanks for helping me through this.

My monitor, video card, and other drivers are too outdated. My video card, Standard PCI Adapter VGA is so outdated that I can only view 16 colors, which is very annoying. Could you please suggest me a resource where I can update all my drivers. My system is Quantex PIII 128 MB Ram.

Thanks
MK

Neon

hi mk,

It sounds like you have only the Windows generic low resolution driver working. You should have received a video card drivers disk with the Quantex. They will be outdated, but should work. If you want the latest drivers, you will need to identify your video card, then download them from the appropriate website (probably nvidia or ati). It probably states the card name during bootup, but you can also look at the card itself.
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

mk001

Hi
My Video card seems to be S3 Savage Pro. Do you know of a website where I can look up different video card drivers? I didn't receive a video card driver disk when I bought this computer from a seller.
THanks
MK

Neon

mk, The S3 Savage is pretty old, so there will not be any recent drivers available. Did you try using the S3 driver on the Windows 98 disk yet? It probably has them. If not, look here: S3 Graphics. There is a link at the bottom that takes you to their legacy drivers page.
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

mk001

Hi,
Thanks for the help. I downloaded S3 Savage driver and works well. I have a couple of more questions.
1) I have installed Microsoft Office 2000 on my Win 98 system. Do you foresee any problems?
2) I am using Norton Antivirus with the latest virus definitions installed. Do you think this Antivirus software is good enough, or do you think there are better products in the market for systems like mine.

Thank you very much!
MK

Neon

Glad you've got the video squared away.

I haven't experience with the Win98 + Office 2000 combo, but they should at least be compatible. If there are any particular "gotchas", we'll have to see if anyone else knows.  

As for Norton Antivirus, that is what I use and recommed. It is quite satisfactory as long as the virus definitions are kept up to date.