• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Windows XP reinstall problem

Started by gman, September 11, 2007, 09:23 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

gman

Hello all,

Briefly about my system, I have two internal hard drives in my computer...the first is a 40 GB HD which I have the OS installed on, and the second is a 120 GB HD which is where I have all of my data stored (pictures, music, documents, etc...)

I reinstalled Windows XP on the primary hard drive last night (due to a problem that I had trying to install Linux on the same drive as a dual boot system) and now I cannot access any of the data that is stored on the secondary hard drive.

When I view both of the hard drives through Administrative Tools, both drives are shown, but the second hard drive, that has the data, shows that the drive is unformatted and that there is 100% free space on that drive.

I only selected the primary drive (which is C drive) to reinstall XP. It was reformatted in the process, and nothing was done (to my knowledge) to the secondary drive (which is D drive).

What do I need to do to be able to access D: drive?

Whizbang

First run CHKDSK from Administrative Tools--->Computer Management--->Disk Management (Highlight the drive)--->Action (tab at top)--->All Tasks--->Properties--->Tools--->Error Checking

I am assuming here that the computer can "see" the drive by going this route.  If that does not work, you probably can use a live Linux CD to copy the files from the drive to another drive.  I suspect that error checking and repair might be the answer though.  Before resorting to a Linux fix, reset the drive data and power cable connections at both ends.