• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

XP Problem

Started by Multispindle, June 19, 2004, 12:41 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Multispindle

P4
512 mb memory
3ghz processor
120 hard drive
WinXP

I have a problem with my pc I had a disk in the drive everything was ok then the pc restarted its self saying system32 missing then would not start.So I tryed to boot it from the cd (reinstall XP)it will not boot up I formatted the hard drive which took 4 hours then tryed to install XP again but it will not install.
cheers

query

If it took that long to format the hard drive, chances are the drive is dying.

Run a full test of the drive with the manufacturer's utility -- if bad sectors show up, replace it before reinstalling Windows.

Multispindle

How do I run a full test of the drive ?
After I formatted the drive then tryed again to install XP,I got to the page where it says about partitoning the drive,click enter on the highlighted partition but when I moved the up and down arrows a darker blue page came on and it said (the problem is caused by the following file :setupdd.sys).

pat

Go to the manufacturer of your drive?s website and download the utility for testing the drive. Once you download the utility you will be able to put it on a 3.5? disk and use it to test the drive.
What is the make and model of your drive?
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Multispindle

Maxtor diamondmax plus9
120gb ata/133 hdd
6y120l0

query

Download PowerMax and make its boot floppy - then boot from that diskette and test the drive.

www.maxtor.com

Multispindle

I have done the test and I got no errors but it still wont go passed the partition screen.

pat

Try testing your ram with memtest86, you can download it from our downloads section.

Also have a look at

Windows XP problems with damaged or incompatible hardware

error message during Windows XP setup
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Chandler

I'd go with pat, it does sound like a memory problem.

Another avenue to go down is with the CD media and/or CD-ROM drive.  I made a SP1 slipstream disc of Windows XP a couple of years ago, and when I attempted to reinstall last week I got tonnes of errors regarding missing or corrupt files.  The disc had degraded for one reason or another (well one reason - cheap media).

Nestor

Hey Chandler, do you have a link/ tutorial on how to slipstream SP1 into an XP CD?
AMD 3200+ KT-6 Delta, 120GB WD HDD, 160GB WD HDD, (4) 300GB Seagate SATA HDD NVidia 6800FX (256MB) 1GB PC3200 Mushkin RAM