• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Upgrading from Windows ME to XP

Started by Azza, August 21, 2003, 12:52 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Azza

IN ABOUT 5 DAYS WILL BE RECEIVING A COPY OF WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION AND IM GOING TO UPGRADE WINDOWS ME WITH IT CAN ANYONE TELL ANYTHING THAT MIGHT GO WRONG AND PROVIDE INFO ON HOW HARD IT IS TO UPGRADE I KNOW THIS ISNT A QUESTION BUT I REALLY WANNA KNOW

trav

Well first off...what software do you have? Because...well.....upgrading is dangerous...depending on the software/hardware.....did you purchase a FULL or UPGRADE copy?
CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR

Azza

whats the diference anyway my PC specs are AMD ATHLON 1800+ 256MB OF RAM 20GB HARD DRIVE IVE BEEN TOLD ILL NEED NEW DRIVERS FOR MY PRINTER AND SCANNER FULL VERSION I THINK

Chandler

Please stop writing in all capitals.

I don't recommend upgrading over Windows Me.  Reformat your hard drive and install Windows XP fresh onto that.  If it's an upgrade version of XP, you'll need to insert a Windows 98 or Me CD-ROM at some point during the installation.

Azza

trav

CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR

Azza

trav

Chandler

It makes your poast difficult to read and decreases the chances of you getting any replies.  It is considered to be "shouting" too by some people.

pat

Perhaps this article will help you some HOW TO: Install Windows XP.

As mentioned a clean install of XP will give you your best results, make sure you back up anything you want saved on your current installation to move to your new setup.
You can format your drive from the install cd before you install XP.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Azza

what type of probs might i get if i just upgrade