• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Unable to shutdown Windows 2000 Professional

Started by jackhammerbob, August 19, 2003, 22:44 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

jackhammerbob

I don't know why, it gets stuck in a light blue screen and doesn't shut down anymore, even if i try to restart it and shut it down again.  I can no longer turn of this machine by going to start and shutdown.  Does anyone have a clue on what could be causing this?

pat

Suggest doing a scan for viruses with up to date pattern files and also a malware scan with either Spybot or Adaware both available from our download page.

Have you installed the latest service pack for windows?

Also have a look at this troubleshooting guide.
How to Troubleshoot Problems with Standby Mode, Hibernate Mode, and Shutting Down Your Computer in Windows 2000

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Whizbang

And also defrag drive.  Whenever I update 2000 with one of Microsoft's "biggies,"  the screen often seems to hang forever on the blank desktop screen and everything is decoupled, no mouse, no keyboard, no patience--->(me), and I sometimes give up and hit restart button or just turn it off.  This can be risky.  Quite often, I have hit reboot only to get hung up on pre-bios (blinking cursor) and have had to shut computer down and start up again.  I always get the scolding that I have not shut computer down properly and that it must check for errors; but I have let the thing set for some lengthy time before and generally find that it will not reboot itself.

Azza

before you shut down press ctrl alt and del and see if there is any supicious programs running if so, and you have to be positive search for it and delete or you could make less things startup that way there wouldnt be as many shutting down either hope this helps did for my m8