• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

FAT32 to NTFS Conversion

Started by mbaldw, February 19, 2007, 04:44 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

mbaldw

Hi Folks,

When I purchased my Acer Ferrari laptop last year, I had the intention of using it for video processing (converting a load of my VHS & camcorder stuff to DVD).   The laptop itself doesnââ?¬â?¢t disappoint, especially now Iââ?¬â?¢ve upped the RAM from 512MB to 1GB.   The only irritating problem is that when Acer installed the O/S (XP Home), they formatted the hard disk (60gig) using FAT32.   This poses problems for video editing, as FAT32 cannot support files larger than 4GB (I have a Canopus card that captures in AVI, so video files readily exceed 4gig!).   I must confess my surprise, as I thought NTFS was the preferred format, especially for XP/2000.

Anyway, Iââ?¬â?¢ve found a few websites that suggest it is possible to convert the file allocation from FAT32 to NTFS (indeed, Iââ?¬â?¢ve done this very successfully on an external USB drive).   However, there seems to be some confusion over what impact this has on the Windows Activation Procedure.   Alex Nicholââ?¬â?¢s guide suggests that converting the disk allocation table will reset the volume serial number, which will require Windows to be reactivated upon restart.   As such it recommends aligning the NTFS partition first, backing up your WBA files and using a program to put the volume serial number back to what it was before the conversion.   However, the Microsoft website on the same topic doesnââ?¬â?¢t mention any of this.   All MS suggest is that you format it and start from scratch, rather than converting it.   Since my laptop is less than a year old and I really could do without formatting it and re-installing the O/S (esp. given that like most laptops, I only have the restore data, rather than a full CD copy of XP).

So, my question is really whether anyone knows if converting my C drive from FAT32 to NTFS will cause any problems for Windows or the PC in general?   Invariably, I will back-up all my files before attempting the conversion, but Iââ?¬â?¢d like to hear the opinions of the board before I start anything.

Many thanks,
Marc.

mbaldw

Thanks for the input Ja.   Come to think of it, I recently swapped hard drives in my desktop (the old one started making a high-pitched whining noise) and XP seemed perfectly happy.   Having said that, I did copy the drive contents using Acronis, so I don't know whether it would've been given the same name and serial number.   Anyway, I'll give it a crack tonight and see how it goes.

Cheers,
Marc.

mbaldw

Well, I have to say that I wasn't vastly inpressed with the conversion.   Restarting my machine gave me the heart-sinking message "Operating System Missing".   I'm now in the process of doing a factory restore.   Fortunately I backed up everything importance, but it's still a little annoying.

Think I might leave the FAT32 partition alone this time!

Cheers,
Marc.

mbaldw

Because I don't have a copy of XP on CD - all I have are recovery discs and the program that does the factory restoration doesn't give me the choice of opting for NTFS or FAT32.   I am considering just shelling out for an OEM copy of XP and installing from scratch.

Cheers,
Marc.

mbaldw

Actually, it seems that I have a VERY big problem.   It seems that the conversion utility has caused the PC to re-assign drive letters.   The reason I can't boot or restore my laptop is because Windows is now installed on E:\.   C:\ is now my "Restore" partition and "Z:\" is my DVD-RW drive.   I guess whne the PC is booting up, it's looking for a file on C:\.   To the best of my knowledge, I can't re-assign drive letters in DOS.   Any ideas?

Cheers,
Marc.

mbaldw

Yeah, I've got all the restore discs, but although they go through the process - 10 minutes down the line when the laptop re-starts, I get the same "Missing Operating System"  :'(   I did the conversion using the convert.exe program on the MS website.

My only hope is that if I buy a new copy of Windows XP (OEM), when it comes to formatting the laptop and installing it, I will be able to delete all the partitions and start from scratch.   Obviously I'll have to go through the pains of setting everything up again, but it looks like my only option.

Cheers,
Marc.

pat

If no part of the recovery/restore disk is on the drive, some manufacturers use a hidden partition to store all or part of the recovery/restore process. You should be able to wipe the drive using the utility from the manufacturer of the drive and start with a clean disk and perhaps your recovery disks will work.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

mbaldw

OK, thanks for the input so far folks - you're buoying my mood a little now and I appreciate it ;D   As I see it, my options are:

1. Buy a new copy of XP; boot from the CD & delete all the partitions; format the whole drive as NTFS and away I go with a fresh installation on a clean drive.

2. Delete partitions C (now restore) and E (now WINDOWS), format them both and then try the recovery discs again.

Does that seem about right?   If so, I have a couple of other questions:

1. Can we say for sure that deleting all (or some) ofthe partitions will lead to Windows labelling the newly formatted drive C:\ ?

2. Is it possible to use USB devices outside of Windows?   If I boot to the comman prompt, would I be able to transfer the RESTORE partition's files to an external hard drive?

Cheers,
Marc.

pat

If you delete the partitions and start over windows should install to dive C: the question is do you have part of the restore/recovery on the drive that the disks need to access in order to complete the recovery process. If so formatting or wiping the whole drive will render that partition useless and perhaps your disks as well. So a new copy of windows may be called for.

Another option may be to try and change the drive letters with a program like Boot It NG they offer a free 30-day trial of the software. I�ve used it before to fix problems and at this point what have you got to lose?
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

mbaldw

Thanks Pat.

Quotethe question is do you have part of the restore/recovery on the drive that the disks need to access in order to complete the recovery process.

I believe so.   When my laptop first came out of the box, it had three partitions: C:\ which contained the O/S; D:\ which was called "Restore" and so I presume holds the restoration files; and E:\, which was called "Acer System" which was much smaller (only a couple of hundred megs) and contained what looked to me like system files.   However, the recovery disc (3 CDs) starts the "Acer Recovery Console", which basically works away on it's own as soon as you hit "C" to start it.   There are no options to change any of the settings like there are on most standard Windows installations.   Thus. I don't really have any idea whether the CDs contain the restoration files, or merely point/instruct the system where/how to get/use them.   My hunch, is that they direct the recovery program to a place on the hard disc - the fact that this recovery partition is now C:\ rather than D:\ is presumably part of the reason why it doesn't work - however, I don't get any errors during the recovery, it completes all the processes and restarts as the instructions say it should, but we're back to square 1 after that.

QuoteAnother option may be to try and change the drive letters with a program like Boot It NG they offer a free 30-day trial of the software. I�ve used it before to fix problems and at this point what have you got to lose?

I do have BootIt NG, but I don't have a floppy drive on the laptop and I can't seem to get it to start the program from a CD (despite burning an apparently 'bootable' CD in Nero and changing the boot sequence in the BIOS).   I can boot to a DOS prompt and then look at the contents of the CD, but I can get the program to run by manually executing it either.

At the moment, Amazon are offering an Microsoft Windows XP Home with Service Pack 2 OEM for Ã?£60.   As I understand it, OEM is the full software, just without the technical support and without the ability to transfer the software to another machine if you buy a new one (because the licence is tied to the motherboard upon installation).   Thus, I am strongly considering an OEM XP copy and just wiping the whole lot out and starting from scratch.   I'd like to know if I have an overly simplistic view of this.

Cheers,
Marc.

pat

I also have a copy of bootit and was able to create a bootable cd, not sure of the steps to take just now, but it does work.

I don't think you have an overly simplistic view at all, going with a full OEM version will let delete all partitions and repartition and format to your liking. That's what I would do. You may want to check with Acer though. They may offer an OEM disk at a reduced price, as you are the owner of one of their systems.

I still think it stinks that manufacturers don't send out real operating system disk with their systems.

mbaldw

Hi,

QuoteDo you really want to lose all those programs?  A new XP disk only has the OS and nothing more. Bummer!

Actually, that's not really something that bothers me.   Pretty much the first thing I did when I powered on the machine for the first time was to remove AOL, Norton and a host of other junk.   I have Office XP on CD and so I can just re-install it.  My AV and firewall have no connection with Acer.   So ultimately, the only software that I use from the original bundle that was on the laptop is the O/S.   The bummer is more that I have to shell out for another copy of XP.

QuoteAlso, looks like a good time to consider Vista, if interested.

Not really, my laptop only just seems to meet the "Recommended" spec for Vista.   Also, while I may upgrade eventually, I'll let others test it out and sort out the bugs and conflicts in the 'live' state before I take the plunge.

QuoteI also have a copy of bootit and was able to create a bootable cd, not sure of the steps to take just now, but it does work.

I tried again with Nero and it seems to work this time (I don't think I turned off the "relaxed" options when I burnt the last one.   Anyway, it's installed and boots to BootIt NG, but for some reason it seems to think the laptop is running Windows98SE!!!!   I can see all three partitions and have set the main one with Windows on it to "MBR Entry 0", created an EMBR, but no joy.   Looking at this drive in the "Work With Partitions" section, it shows it as being "0" and "Active", but whenever you try and view the details it says "Unable to Mount The File System".   It then says:

Bootable: No.
The location of this partition will prevent some operating systems from booting from it.

QuoteI don�t think you have an overly simplistic view at all, going with a full OEM version will let delete all partitions and repartition and format to your liking. That�s what I would do. You may want to check with Acer though. They may offer an OEM disk at a reduced price, as you are the owner of one of their systems.

Glad to hear it!   I figured I'd be OK with and OEM version (although oddly, Amazon seem happy to sell it without any associated hardware!).   As per your suggestion, I'll give Acer a shout tomorrow and see if they offer any OEM discs.

Thanks a million for your help, guys - I very much appreciate it.

Cheers,
Marc.