• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Pioneer Linux Installation

Started by Whizbang, September 27, 2007, 20:06 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizbang

After countless months of failure in trying to install an Ubuntu OS or one of its immediate spin-offs, I was finally able to get the latest Pioneer Linux to properly identify and install acceptable drivers for my Samsung monitor.  I say acceptable because it still was not the correct resolution of 1285 X 1024, but it was close enough not to cause any noticeable distortion.  All previous attempts yielded a black screen with a dancing message that said something to the effect of "Not Optimum Resolution."  I guess when the screen would not even display anything at all, the message was a wee bit of an understatement.  Pioneer installed about the fastest of any OS I have tried with probably less than 20 minutes with all drivers and auto-updates from the Internet.

As many Linux distros are doing, Pioneer developers have opted for web-based printer installation, and as all other Linux distros have done with my attempts, the result has been a dud.  I think my biggest problem is that I do not "speak" Linux very well and have trouble with the "Open in the same directory" jargon.  I prefer the "Move the installation file to folder A, open a terminal screen, and type the following.  Linux purists like to belittle noobies a bit because they still are angry at Microsoft for not posting their source codes all over the Internet so someone else can re-invent his own version of Windows.  Ok, just my opinion, but I do wish there were more specifics than generalities and abbreviated Linux jargon.  Another problem with the Linux offerings is that the developing groups tend to get angry at each other and quit only to move on to other projects because they have a habit of not agreeing to the satifactory completion of a version.  This happened with Kanotix, which was my favorite because it had more advanced hard drive installation based printer support.  Kanotix was abandoned and then restarted recently.  The newest version does not work well on my computer, and the spin-off from the first effort, Sidux, is not as impressive as Kanotix was.

If you are not asleep yet, here are some pics of the Pioneer desktop at various stages.  Pioneer does follow its Debian roots and is set up to install programs automatically from its Debian repository on line.  That is a big advantage over having to enter scripts into terminal screens and remember the procedure.  Also, if you know which sites to go to, flashplayer installation is automatic.  There is virtually no difference between Pioneer Internet viewing and XP on quality.

The last picture is of the onscreen manual.  The distortion is due to the camera's lens axis being perpendicular to the screen.  I try to avoid it, but canting the camera at an angle causes the screen to appear to be a trapezoid.  I just never have been a fan of trapezoids.   ::)

Buffalo2102

Haven't come across Pioneer Linux before but it looks pretty good.  I might just give that one a spin.

Buff; trapezoids are OK, but I prefer the lion-tamers.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

brez

QuoteLinux purists like to belittle noobies a bit because they still are angry at Microsoft for not posting their source codes all over the Internet so someone else can re-invent his own version of Windows.  Ok, just my opinion

and the opinion of millions more as well, maybe now following the court ruling things will change!

BTW
The pioneer linux looks to be a rather smooth system.
My Website offering FREE hosting for your Website<br />             http://www.afreeweb.info