• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Favorite Snack

Started by pat, October 28, 2006, 15:11 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

What' your favorite snack.

Candy
1 (8.3%)
Chips Potato, Corn, etc.
2 (16.7%)
Nuts
2 (16.7%)
Ice Cream
0 (0%)
Beef Jerky
1 (8.3%)
Pork Rinds
1 (8.3%)
Other sweet snack
4 (33.3%)
Geez Louise, pretzels.
1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

pat

I think I read an urban legend once about a guy you went to a drive in movie, then got on a bus and took a taxi to Chicago.

Seems like there was a problem while riding a boat under a bridge, hmm maybe it?ll come back to me.

Anyway, I (we) went to see the Illusionist the other weekend ago. It was my wife?s idea and I have to admit it didn?t sound all that great to me. But as usual she was right and it was a great movie, I highly recommend it. So if you don?t want to wait for the DVD to come out so you won?t have to rent it, but can buy it so you can own it, you may want to catch it while it?s still in the theater.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

scuzzy

Huh. Ace said "butter". He's still determined to make this a poast about food. But then again, the root word of butter is... oh nevermind.

Before Ace could drive, he probably took Taxis to the drive-in while he hid in the trunk. I could see him doing that. I could also see him trying that in a bus. Probably a yellow VW bus with peace signs spray painted on the side.

I stopped at Chicago once several years ago and ate one of their famous hot dogs. But I didn't watch any movies while I was there, nor did I hide in anyone's closet.

Scuzzy; I hope Ace never comes out of the closet.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Bill

Sounds to me like it's too late for that.

Bill

Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

I come out of the closet every morning; with a tie, for the day.

Ok, I'm not getting this whole thing about reincarnation and coming back as my enemy, or not... I mean, what's that mean?  I turn into
Scuzzy..?!

Eek.

Why you'd bother to put a cat in a bag, in a barn, is beyond me.  I wouldn't waste my time.  I mean, they're cats, you know?  Nobody needs that.

So what'd you get, a Coney dog?  Those are pretty good.  

I thought the trailer for the Illusionist looked great, but then I read a lukewarm review... And heard Michael Caine talk about it.  I was hoping it was decent, so I'll probably buy it.  I've got a big backlog of DVDs in my closet dangit rec room.  Just saw the Underworld II movie.  Lots of flash and teeth, signifying nothing.  They're fun to watch, though.  

Ace:  ;D = smarmy
Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

I don't remember what kind of dog it was. Geez, it was about 20 yrs ago.

Hey, after you watch the Illusionist send it to me so I can watch it. I'll gladly reimburse you the 39 cent poastage. Just make sure you wash your hands before you touch it.

Scuzzy; watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

Oh, yeah. Right.  "Watch you make my movie disappear."

Dissapear. Dissappear. Boy, that's one of those words, isn't it.  

Maybe I'll get the Comedy Central DVD of Michael Richards and Mel Gibson in Philadelphia for the City of Brotherly Love "Cosmo Kramer Love thy Neighbor and Hecklers" stand up routine.  Then sit down on the Late Show and try to explain how "I don't know where that came from..."  Really.

Ok; since it's a poast about food, and movies, I nominate the scene with Kramer eating the withered old hot dog at the theatre to show it wasn't insane, and Alan on 2 1/2 men winding up behind the counter later in life.  With Jake manning the popcorn machine.

Ace; my home theater has popcorn available.
Ring bells for service.

pat

Heck, I had to look up smarmy. Which led me to effusively earnest and unctuous.
It just kept getting better, so I went with effusively earnest first and still don?t know what that has to do with a cat in a bag or pulling a rabbit out of a hat or Kramer going off the deep end.

But I can relate to unctuous ok. I think we have a lot of that going on around here.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Ace

Heck, I had to look up unctuous.  I think the root word is "uncle."  

I haven't had my dog for about 14 years, but I still remember her.  I never took her to Chicago, though.  Not after she did a Paris Hilton in the back seat of the Sable while we were showing our house.

Ace; people should know not to swill Grey Goose for hours and then go up on stage to lypsync.  Actually, people oughta know enough not to lypsync, period.  :Psick emoticon
Ring bells for service.

Ace

Oh, yes.  You are Our Annointed One.

I'm thinking of cutting and pasting a dictionary into a poast, so as to boost the page and poast count.

Ace; heck, why not just plug in the Encyclopedia Brittanica.  Although it's probably in English, which could be a problem.
Ring bells for service.

Ace

Sweeten what...?  The bird?  The sweet potatoes? (That'd be redundant, I'd think).  The stuffing?  The dressing?  

The dessert?  Sweeter Pumpkins?  Dump some sugar in the Cool Whip?  

I wouldn't sweeten the cooking oil, since it'd be more likely to burn.  

Ace; I hope to never personally identify with an emoticon. :D

Ring bells for service.

Ace

Well, sure! Sweeten up yours! Too!

Ace;  ;D = unctuous
Ring bells for service.

Ace

I thought it was sweet of me to wish him a happy holiday. :-*

Huh; even a sweet little emoticon.  

Ok; so back to food and out of the dictionary.  Maybe we can combine the two and poast a cook book.  As long as we don't get stuck in the Table of Contents.  

You know; I was thinking.  Really.  I think it's funny Pat keeps saying stuff that I get blamed for.  He mentions witchazel, and unctuous, and then I'm supposed to "sweeten" my disposition.  Way to go, Pat, you tree hugging tree chopping wood carving carpenter... guy. You.

Ace; the last guy that used ;) on me left, too.

Ring bells for service.

Mr. Sam

That's right, it's Thanksgiving day for you US folks, isn't it? We here in Canada had it and forgot it by now; which is a shame, we shouldn't ever forget.

On topic, whatever the topic is, your topics are confusing me. Food, boats, cars, coffee, Scots, movies, holidays... ??? Well, at least Ace is finally letting out his emotions.

Mr. Sam; even if they are unctuously smarmy. ;) or was it  ;D
A post is a poast. A tost is a toast.

pat

Oh yes paralanguage is alive and well at poasters, hang on the Pidgin will get going soon.

I mix sugar with my cool whip doesn?t everyone? But I don?t put it on persimmons, I don?t put anything on persimmons I send them to Ace and he gets blamed for them not being sweet.

Ace

Yes, and if I had a cat it'd be a sourpuss.

Except I wouldn't.  Have a cat.

Thanks, Sam, except you mispelled "emoticon."  I let those out a long time ago.  You know, you're right about missing out on Thanksgiving.  You Northerners don't have anything to be thankful about.  I don't think you ever had pilgrims, unless you do pilgrimages to hockey games.  Or Indians.  Maybe you guys just shoved Eskimos further North, and took over that way.  

Let us know what topics wouldn't confuse you...  Beer?  Potatoes?  Hockey? (it'd confuse me, though, since I don't see the point of staging a non-scoring game on ice).  Canadian Football?  Geez, you may as well get a radar dish or big antenna and catch real football, with the right number of guys and downs.  Rush?  Bachman Turner Overdrive?  Nickelback?  Whiz's paralyzing aversion to Bermuda shorts and hoagies?  Burton Cummings?

I always liked Burton Cummings...

I can't think of any other Canadian topics... maybe wearing a lot of flannel, or harboring U.S. troops who ran screaming from the mideast quagmire.  They're probably hanging out with the would-be U.S. troops who ran screaming from the Viet Nam quagmire.  That was back when just leaving was seen as a pretty good way out.

It's like when the witch said "If you can't stand the heat, then you shouldn't have come into the kitchen" to Hansel and Gretel.  Boy, you just don't see a lot of kids with the name "Hansel" or 'Gretel' any more.  Or Esther.  Or Trudy.

"Hansel" could be a nickname for Clay Aiken.  Otherwise, I would like to quote or at least paraphrase, in paralanguage, the Leland Stanford Jr. University Marching Band, as a scatter banned band, much like a scatter Jester:

"We apologize for offending anyone whom we had no intention to offend." :o that's a cool yet wordless image, huh.

I'd say "fagitaboutit" but that sounds too much like Rosie ripping Ripa criticizing Clay Aiken and wherever that hand has been.

Ming; merciless :^{] antique emoticon

Ring bells for service.

pat

I like the idea about cataloging some recipes, not necessarily to increase the count, but because I like to try out new tasty food. We had the Tamale Round-About the other day and it was swell.

Just brown up some ground beef and add your favorite Mexican type seasonings. A pound and a quarter or so will do. Add in a jar of salsa and a can of corn and black beans and any other stuff you like, peppers and onions for example.

Make some Bread dough:
? cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking soda
? teaspoon salt
? cup milk
2 eggs
? cup veg oil
4 ounces shredded cheese

Ok, then just make up the dough, put half in a fluted bunt pan or whatever you like to use. Put the meat filling in next and top off with remaining dough.

Bake for 35-40 minutes and enjoy.

Ace

Geez Louise Pat; thanks for knocking my dang poast to the page before. The page.  Criminy.  

And what the heck are you doing dumping a pound and a quarter of seasonings into this thing?!  Trying to kill any dinner guests that unfortunately stop by?  

I'm not about to watch what you want dumped on a wet burrito, I'll tell you that much.  I can just see you at Hacienda; "Sure, we'll take some more chips and salsa, and could you bring a bucket of seasonings over too?"

And why in the world would you make bread... geez criminy, you can BUY bread.  It's like making beer.  What a waste of time.

I was going to try to make a joke about "fluted bunt pan" but I gave up.

Ace; yeah, I get the Round-Abouts after tamales or Mexican food, too.  
Ring bells for service.

pat

Yeah, I?ll bet you do. I suppose too much Mexican food could make you round about the middle. That?s why I like a lot of spice, cuts down on the calories.

You know, I just don?t have much luck with plants. Last year I had that oak come after me and now, for the first time ever. I have the poison ivy. I have some on my nose, on my chin, on my ear and cheek. I even have some on parts a little further south. Took me a while to figure out what the heck this was, but both the guys I work with have it also. Both of them have it worse than I but this is the first time for me.

Dang itchy stuff, dangit.

Ace

And what were you guys doing to all come down with it, huh..?

Look, that is not a salad you want to be tossed with.  I've never had the pleasure, but I had a brother in law who would get it just by looking at it.  So is there any part of you that you aren't scratching?  

I guess next you'll get Poison Oak, for a hybrid.

You might try rubbing in some cumin or cayenne or cilantro on it.  I don't know if it'd offer any relief, but at least you'd smell tantalizing.  

They say that, after you've had it, then next time you get it you'll have it again.

Ace; I'm glad my plants are dead.

Ring bells for service.

pat

I?ll leave, to your imagination, just what us guys were doing when we got it.

Get it?

So I stopped to get a turkey on the way home tonight and as I was sorting through the hens and roosters I could not find one big enough. I asked the kid behind the counter if they got any bigger. He looked at me for a minute and said ?Da, I don?t think so, they?re dead.?

Ace

I'd think if you left one outside for some time, it'd get bigger...

That reminds me of the urban legend of the guy in the hotel bathroom bathtub filled with cold water and a turkey, trying to dethaw it.

What I don't get is why you're sorting through chickens, if what you wanted is a turkey...   Aren't they Toms, and some other dang name?  I guess that could get confusing if everybody had the same name... Like if you meet someone Korean and they're named "Kim."  Or an American, named "Bob."  Or a Canadian, and his name is Alex Trebek.  Like that.  Or Czech women, where they add the "nova" to the male name, so it'd be like Bobanova.

How old was this kid?  Was he a natural English speaker?  What the world was the "Da" for?  Was he not right in the head?   I don't know too many people who start sentences with "Da."  Even when I'd talk to my Dad, I wouldn't do that, as far as I recall.

Let me try it;

Da Ace; he'll be watching Da Bears, this weekend.  And Notre Da-Ame.  

Ok, I guess it's ok.  I guess I can use that.  Duh.

Ring bells for service.

pat

He was from West Michiana, they talk funny over there. I think they all originated from the Scandinavian countries.

I think I?d rather not eat a turkey I was on a first name basis with.

?Hey, how was your dinner? Tom tasted just great, we also bought Jane for later and their kids Billy and Sue for Christmas.?

That?s just wrong.

Ace

Look; I thought we agreed you weren't going to mention what you guys were doing...

"BillySue" sounds like someone from Michigan.  Probably goes by "Bo" for short.  Or "Bue."

Heh, that'd be a great name for Halloween.  So; West Michiana.  Where the steel mills spew smoke and the Lake intrudes.  Once the Toll Road goes automatic and electronic and exhorbitant I probably won't see much of it.  Usually, I Head East.  Good one hit wonder band, huh.  

I watched a little of the American Music Awards, but I really didn't know who anyone was except for Brittney Spears.  And I didn't wanna know, her, any more than any cow in a trailer park.  And Josh Grogan bellowing some minor key dirge.  And some hiphop somebody.  I did catch Elton John with Tony Bennet on the other station, but I don't want to hear about what they were doing, either.

Ok, then.  I hope everyone has a wonderful classic American snack tomorrow; turkey, giblets, mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes.  Starch. Tryptophan.  Night-shade derivative spud things.  Sleep... Sleep... I don't care for stuffing, or dressing, so I left that out.  I am baking a chocolate cake right now, for tomorrow.  It's one of those Helmen's boosted Mayo ones, to soup up the mix.  I actually have done chocolate cakes from scratch, including icing, but anymore I just goose the package and buy the stuff in the cans.  Works for me.

Ace; since I'll be unconscious by then, anyway.  Sweet.

Ring bells for service.

pat

Oh, no dressing? That is one of my favorites; I?ll be making my apple cornbread dressing first thing in the morning to go into the roaster with the turkey. I really got a nice one this year, didn?t catch her first name though.

I?m going to lay low this weekend and stay away from the kick off of the holiday shopping season that started about a month ago.

Ace

I'd like cornbread ok, but not with fruit.  About the only thing I like with fruit is fruit.

I'm not venturing out either on Black Friday or Black Saturday or Sunday or whatever follows on Grape Road.  And, no, that is not a reference to Michael Richards coming to the local comedy club.

One year I went to Best Buy the friday after, and the mass of people stretched through the store from the checkouts so that you couldn't cross it to see stuff.  I'll probably just watch football and play Oblivion since the game is going to take at least 75 years to get through, based on the options and range of quests and sites to visit.

I think it's set in the past since that's actually when they started designing and programming it.

NY has high winds, so hopefully the Macy's parade will be dangerous and exciting.  I like a twitchy float.  Hope it's not so nasty that the Rockettes get blown over.  You know, maybe it's the makeup, but when they show them up close they're not all very cute...

The only thing we made this morning was a bacon muffin for breakfast.  The cake is boxed for travel.  The Heineken lights are in the trunk.  I've got some Stewart's rootbeer to hydrate my foot, during the day.  There's still the red spot on my foot from the gout; letting me know something evil lives within.

I think Criminal Minds had a show where a guy had a girl over for dinner and then packaged her for leftovers in the fridge.   And can Mandy Patinkin even smile anymore, or is his face permanently fused in that scowl?

Ace; "scowl"; smile from Simon Cowell >:(
Ring bells for service.

pat

We took the South Shore to the Magnificent Mile one year on Black Friday. Talk about crowds of people, a real swarming throng of humanity, it was fun, but I?m not in a hurry to do that again.

I looked up the Michael Richards stunt on You Tube, I found it ok and watched it a little, gads what a hole that guy dug for himself. But, there is some really funny stuff on that site, funny ha ha and funny like, I can?t believe you would share that and for goodness sakes why would you share that? Sort of like the endless multitudes that appear on some of the low class talk shows to share their stories.

I don?t get it, no fruit in your muffin, but meat is ok? Hey, give me a loaf of that French Bread with the meat mixed in. I can see the up side though, no need to spend time making lunch in the morning, just cut a couple of slices and you?re good to go.

Ace

We went to breakfast and got gas.  In that order.  And did our Saturday food shopping at Martin's.

If the Magnificent Mile is in Chicago, then the stretch of Grape Road from Cleveland down to Edison must be the Expanse of Doom.  So you think what Cosmo Richards said is ok?! You must be sick.  Anyway, I don't make my lunch in the morning.  I make it in the afternoon, at lunch time, if I'm having something that doesn't just come from a bag.  My wife might make me a sandwich in the morning, but that's why she's here.

My entire plan is to not die in Oblivion.  I know that is pretty close to what I try to accomplish pretty much any day.  I have to try to put more sealant and adhesives around a ceiling fan I forced onto our Kitchen ceiling, and then paint over the ancient peelings that have now been exposed.  And string my Strat.  And play the Marilyn Manson concert DVD I got a couple weeks ago, to see if it's any good.  

Well, probably not "good" per se.  Maybe well.  

French bread filled with meat and a pound of spices.  You probably don't even need to refrigerate it; it should keep fine for decades just like that.

Ace; who's hungry today.
Ring bells for service.

pat

I didn?t need to get gas today, had plenty left from yesterday.

Thanks, I?m feeling ok. The ivy is just about gone, and the weather is good. I?m well away from any participation in black Friday and hey, no complaints. Quite around here though, well not here, but here in this cyberspace place.

I did pick up a copy of Sid Meier?s Pirates the other day; I?ll load that up in a little while and see what that?s all about.

I think if I had a choice between Marilyn Manson and Oblivion, I?d go with Oblivion. That Manson guy(?) is just too strange for me.

I rather take a walk with a panda.

Bill

This is always quite the place.  

Speaking of snacks, did someone mention hagis?

Bill

Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

pat

Dang typos, I'm going to put my fingers on a diet.