• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by n/a, November 20, 2000, 19:50 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

n/a

Something similar happened to a friend a couple of years ago. They were told they could NOT return a computer that was supposed to be under money-back warranty. Their second hard drive had failed, their mother board was diagnosed as bad, and they still couldn't get the onsite service they had paid extra for.

Only after their credit card company credited their account with a full refund did Gateway give them an RMA number.

Pete

Look what Fred says about Gateway....Looks like they  might have been infected with  the Q virus:

Gateway Blows It

Over the years, I've bought many many PCs. I've rotated through a number of

vendors and chip types, and probably have bought more boxes from Dell, Gateway

and Micron than from any other sources. I've gotten good PCs and service from all

three companies.

But now, I'm taking Gateway off my list.

Last month, I ordered a new system from Gateway--- a top-of-the-line unit running an

AMD 1.2GHz processor and equipped with all the bells and whistles. I knew that the

1.2GHz processors were in short supply, so I expected a delay, and indeed, at

order-time, I was given a projected ship date that was further out than usual.

The date came and went. I contacted Gateway. They cited the chip shortage, and

gave me a new date. OK. That was not too unexpected.

But then that date came and went without a peep from Gateway. When time

continued to pass and nothing was happening with my order, I finally called Gateway

to cancel. I bounced through their phone system and human operators until I got to a

person who supposedly was high enough in the food chain to be able to cancel my

order. She argued with me(!), and wanted to talk me out of canceling.  I finally said

something like "Look, I just want to cancel the order, OK?" She wished me luck (!!)

and hung up on me.

I've written to Gateway and asked for in-writing confirmation that my order was

cancelled, but so far have heard nothing back. As of this morning, the Gateway

automated order-tracking service shows my order is still in the system.

No, I won't accept delivery of the system if it comes, and yes, I will tell my credit card

company to withhold payment to Gateway.

But you know, when supervisory-level account reps are hanging up on customers,

you know something bad is going on inside a company. It will be a very, very long

time before I consider any Gateway PC again, and I suggest you think long and hard

about risking your money on a Gateway system, too.

Pete
Pete