• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Need Suggestions

Started by laktos, April 04, 2007, 08:51 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

laktos

Hi,

I want to buy laptop. I found Dell Inspiron 6400 Dual core for $ 799.00 at www.direct2deal.com.

My budget is $1000. I want this laptop for professional usage. I want to use this laptop for graphical application like Corel 12, CS2, and some heavy graphical application. Plus, Games also.

Intel�® Pentium�® dual-core T2060(1MB Cache/1.6GHz/533MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows Vistaââ??¢ Home Basic
15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display with TrueLifeââ??¢(glossy)
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ, 2 DIMM
160GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive
8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
128MB ATI MOBILITYââ??¢ RADEONÃ?® X1300 HyperMemoryââ??¢
Dell Wireless 1390 802.11b/g Mini Card (54Mbps)
Integrated Audio
Media Direct 3.0

Please help me by your suggestion? Is it appropriate for me? Is this appropriate price?

pat

Hello and welcome to poasters.
I did look at that deal yesterday and went to have a look today, but it seems to be gone from that site although it may still be listed at Dell. Looks pretty good to me, but if possible I would upgrade to one of the Core 2 chips.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

query

The system will be fine for everyday use, but you won't be doing much gaming on an X1300.  If your budget is $1,000, you won't get much gaming out of any system.

Consider a desktop, where your money will go a lot further - or, if you buy a $1,000 notebook, realize that you'll be making compromises.  Truly capable gaming notebooks run closer to twice that (and over).

Also, don't skimp on the warranty - notebooks are inherently unreliable (20% of them need major repairs during their useful lifetimes) and expensive to repair when they fail (a mainboard for the model you're considering costs $400;  Toshiba and HPaq charge even more - often $800+ for system boards).  Since just about everything is integrated onto the system board, it often needs replacment in case of even minor failure.