• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Is This Thing Dead or What?

Started by fletch33, October 30, 2006, 09:06 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

fletch33

i am fairly computer savy and unfortunately am always stuck fixing friends and families PC's. anyway i am stuck on this one. i am trying to fix an IBM thinkpad T23 laptop ( i hate these thinkpads almost as much as anything made by DELL ) so here is the problem.

this thing was running so slow that it took nearly 30 minutes to boot into windows so that i could save some files and a very long time to transfer them to an external hard drive. so i added new memory to it replacing the old just in case it was bad. then i ran spinrite 6 and that took 2 days to complete. i then reformatted the hard drive with a slow NTFS format and then just to test if it was going to work i tried to install a very very lite version of XP that i have installed on several older laptops and it usually installs in less than 15 minutes on very old machines and it took over an hour to load and finally start up and runn on this thinkpad.

i can not get this to run anyway near realistic times for anything. i have to guess that it is the hard drive but i wanted to get another opinion based on what i have told you here.

anyone have anything else i should try or an idea of what else it could be.

Thanks

query

At a minimum, a new hard drive is in order.

fletch33

Thanks

i told him it wasnt worth fixing and that if possible he should wait till Feb. or whenever he can order a new one that will ship with Vista.