• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Recent Posts

Started by 44mayg, January 27, 2004, 18:05 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

44mayg

Can't let Scuzzy kill this one. It wouldn't be right.

He's a cop.

Like Greyhound says,

"Leave the killing to us"

Ace

I know people have taken to Greyhounds as pets; I guess to save them from a life of racing and abuse.  They're kinda like Whippets, like in that Devo song.  I personally don't care for them; they are too long and lean and weird looking, besides way too fast when they run around the house.  I didn't know they are killers, too, though.  That would scare me.  I guess it'd be like having a little race car zipping around you.   I don't know if they typically take you out in the turns, or if they flip over and explode or just crash into the wall.  Maybe a banked living room would be of help if you own one.

Firemen have dalmations, but I don't know what the police would have as a dog.  I guess a police dog, if there were any available.  Or any that like donuts.  I can't think of too many dogs that wouldn't try a Krispy Kreme.  I suppose a cat would, too, if he got his paws in the icing.

I don't think a cat would be that much fun, in a police car.  It'd probably hide under the seat or lounge in the back window and ignore everybody.  Or try to hit the siren, when you aren't looking.  Heck, I'd rather walk than ride with one of those.

Ace; I'm glad the poast wasn't killed.  Unless I just did; then that'd be ok.
Ring bells for service.

44mayg

Why would people take to having Greyhounds as pets? I can't think of anything more stupid you've ever said than that. Not one thing. Well, probably lots, but I just wanted to say that.

Why the heck would someone want a stinky old diesel burning bus running around their house in the first place? You can't tell me that someone wouldn't eventually get killed.

And if it was full of cats, that's even worse. Can you even begin to imagine the smell? With that bus running around the house, and all full of cats, I don't think anything would ever stay in the litter boxes where it's supposed to.

I think we should change the subject here to guns. Fun guns. Favorite guns. Guns and ammo. Firearms. Target practice. Shooting. Bullets. Reloading. Primers and their pockets. Trimming cases. Resizing.

Ace

Ok, sure.  I'm game.  I'd hate to feed a Greyhound, too.  Or clean up after one.

What would be a good handgun to buy, if somebody wanted one for home defense or self protection?  I'd be thinking of something like a small caliber like 22.  Or so.  Or what's comparable.  I don't know the particulars about ammo configuration and all that.  What would you recommend?

Ace; I've got the Crossman pellet gun, but unless it's an Opossum I don't know what that would stop.  Or annoy.
Ring bells for service.

Mark H

Personally, I like a 45, which can do a lot of damage if needed for self defense.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

44mayg

I don't know how familiar you are with firearms Ace, but I guess since it was a serious question, I'll give you a serious answer.

I have several different firearms scattered in different places around my house, for two reasons. Out of view, but quick and easy to get to when you know where they are. And they aren't hammers. (A handgun is no better than a hammer if it's unloaded :-)

One, if someone was to break in, it would be harder for them to find all the firearms. It's not a good idea for them all to be in one place, unless you have a gun safe. But we do have a house alarm, and if you remember, we have Stryke. (A walking indoor alarm from the German Shepherd Company :-)

Two, it will probably never happen, but if all your firearms are in one place and someone breaks in, what happens if you aren't in the right room at the right time? You wouldn't have access to a firearm if it was needed.

Personally, I have a couple 44 Mags, a .45 auto, several .22's and some rifles around.

If you aren't familiar with handguns, these are a good way to go for home protection. Not as bulky as a rifle or shotgun.

If you want to go with a .22 caliber, either a revolver or an auto loader will work good. The longer the barrel, the better. (Longer barrel, more velocity. More velocity, more knock down power)

An auto loader provides quick firing if needed. One type I've owned for many years is the Ruger Mark I target pistol (auto loader), .22 cal with a 6 7/8" barrel. These are VERY reliable and accurate. I've shot thousands of rounds through this particular one, and it's still very tight and accurate. A testament to the quality and reliability of Ruger firearms design. The newest model is called the Mark II. And you want the target model as it has a heavier barrel. There's also a bull barrel model.

The main concern with an auto loader is you need to make sure it's well broken in and polished in the places where parts move together. You want to keep it clean and lubed with a light oil. I take my guns apart and polish the trigger mechanism and other part that need it. Depending on the gun, I might also adjust trigger pull and work on the sear.

Dry Slide is excellent for firearms. It's a moly base with a light carrier that gets it into very tight places. After a short time, the carrier evaporates and leaves the moly behind in them hard to lube and tight fitting parts. And two other good reasons. In cold weather, it doesn't thicken and cause the gun to jam or fail. Two, being only a thin dry layer of moly (miniature ball bearings) it doesn't attract dust, dirt or powder residue.

You will have to practice, practice and practice. Get to know your auto loader. If you don't, you could find yourself in a bad situation in case of a stovepipe. (Case get's jammed) An auto loader is great for quick follow up shots as they have a very short trigger pull.

Your second choice is a revolver. Again, the same practice and care information applies as above. The plus with a revolver is they rarely jam. The minus is, they usually hold less rounds, and if you don't manually cock it before the next shot, you'll have a longer trigger pull. When cocked, the trigger pull is similar to an auto loader.

As for ammo for a .22, I keep my home defense .22's loaded with CCI Stinger ammo. This is a long rifle, hyper velocity hollow point round. Very reliable and very fast, which will offer more knockdown power than a standard .22 long rifle round. And you want hollow points for defense.

OK, I'm long winded, but that's actually a condensed version of information for you. No kidding!

PS: You can kill or stop someone with a pellet gun if the shot is placed in the right spot. I have one of those Crossman pellet guns also (pump-pistol-.177 cal) and the pointed tip would be most effective for penetration because of their lower power.

scuzzy

I'd check to see what they had for breakfast with my Glock 22 (40 cal). Glocks are my favorite semi-auto, and they make perfect duty weapons. I'm always armed, including in my house, and I have my draw down to 8/10 of a second. On the range, I can get two to the body and one to the head on an average of 1.2 seconds.

The office I work for is great. We get unlimited time and rounds at the range, which helps enormously. Our Sheriff says he doesn't want marksmen, he wants professional gunfighters. Each academy student fires a *minimum* of 3,000 rounds over a 3 week period. Gotta love it. :)
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

44mayg

The first one I would reach for, in home, would be a .44 mag. If closer, it would be the .45 auto. If the situation called for it, next on the list would be my sweet shooting, series 181 stainless Mini-14. (Zeiss scope equipped) And lets just say, the clips would be more than 10 rounds and all legal as these are pre-ban clips.

When I carry outside the home, I carry whatever feels right at the time. Sometimes it's something big, sometimes it's a .22 derringer. Most frequent is my .45 (stainless P-90), but size isn't always the most deciding factor, if you place the shot right. Thank God I've never had to place that shot, and don't want to place that shot, but I would if needed.

I'm not really a Smith fan, but I do have my eyes on the new Smith 500. That critter is a BEAST!!

Sarah Brady can BITE MY BRASS!!!!!!!!

44mayg

Stupid jesters. Can't never trust them. Believe them. Waste time listening to them. Reading them. Don't reply. Reply not. Answer not. Not cool. Jesters cool are not.

Ask a serious question for once. Not a joke. No joking around. "HEY! WHATS......?"

Take a hundred hours to put together an answer they might understand to that not really serious question. They don't answer. Never trust a joker. Jester. Clown. Ace. Demoted to two of clubs.

Reads all around it. Poasts all around it. Skirts it. Avoids it. Snickers at the suckers.

Sure, I'll help. Stupid me. Never again the sucker. Was serious? Not any more! Never was. Was never. Never mind!

Keep the pellet gun. It's safer for a rookie.  Pump 20 times. Aim at air. Squeeze trigger. Watch for falling lead. DUCK!!

pat

I wouldn?t be too concerned.
The only ?Heat? Ace is going to be packing, will come in a tube. Which I?m sure he?ll need once he starts jogging again.

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

44mayg

Pat, Ace can't jog.

His feet stick to the ground too much from that Panda jam growing between his webbed toes.

Ace

No, I got it.  Japanese.  Kamikazes.  "Nip in the air."  I already said I got it.

Hold it, that was the other one.  Ok; this one too.  Got it.  Good advice.  Fascinating.
Understood part of it, even.  That much info, it takes me awhile to absorb it. I'm a novice at this kind of thing, and I want to actually understand it so I can figure what I didn't.  I was off in the other room for awhile, too, plus actually shooting things in RTCW a lot these past days.  Actually finished the game; killed Heinrich and everything.  You know if I'm quiet I'm good with it.  It's when I get talkative I'm confused.  Appreciate your knowledge on the subject.  Even Pat's, in my care and feeding.  You wanted to talk about guns anyway, so not like you needed me for the straight man.  Or target.  

I wish I had a place to target shoot; as a kid my brother and I would pepper Drewery's bottles with BB guns.  Wish I could just shoot the fence in the backyard, like we did back then.  I did impale the back wall of the garage testing the Crossman when I put in a new cartridge...  Had to pry the dang things out.

I wouldn't go with the heavy artillery you and Scuzzy drifted into; I was just going to focus on what you said with the smaller calibers.  Is a 9mm like a 22 size..?  I have been trying to find a clear, explanatory web page on different caliber demonstrated and compared just for over all reference, and everything gets way too detailed and only looks within a genre (like grain comparisons for 22 cartridges..).  I'd like to see something that discusses ammo size and effects, since that's what matches the pistols.  The Ruger site was interesting, and I like that they combine guns and golf.  And seems they do well with the 22 size... Glock seemed dedicated to more size and $. Smith & Wesson was startlingly expensive.  Any other brands worth checking?

Ace; I like the idea of going with a Hammer.  Would you say ballpeen, or claw works best?
Ring bells for service.

44mayg

9MM is .35 caliber, so it's bigger than a .22 caliber and has more power.

Well, I guess power (energy) is a relative thing. The caliber doesn't decide energy, but the weight (mass) and velocity of the bullet are the true deciding factors. The 9MM is a larger diameter bullet than a .22. But even so, the 9MM has less power than a .223, which is what an M16 (military) fires. It's a smaller bullet than the 9MM, but the 3200+ fps velocity makes it much more deadly.

The military also went to a 9MM as a sidearm in most all cases now, replacing the .45 auto. Sure, you get more rounds loaded in a 9MM, but I think going to it was somewhat of mistake. The .45 is a much larger bullet and has better knockdown power than a 9MM. It might take two or three shots with a 9MM to take someone down, where a .45 might do it in one. Again, location of the shot is the most critical element. But the .45 penetrates winter wear much better than a 9MM. Bigger bullets going much faster, such as the .40 or the even larger and more powerful .44 Mag, don't have any trouble with any kind of body wear. (excluding body armor) Get the idea?

I own several Rugers for many reasons. They're well made, you can find them anywhere, and they are less in cost than many other brands. Your mention of the cost for a Smith firearm was a good example.

I don't know if you made it to the MII page on the Ruger site, so just in case, here's the link.

Ruger Mark II

By the way, I forgot to mention in the other poast that the 6 7/8 barrel and bull models have adjustable target sights. I wouldn't trade my Mark I for a Browning, Smith or just about anything else. It's accurate, reliable, balanced and feels good in the hand.

I can't verify this, but I read one time the Air Force issued the 5" bull barrel model to it's pilots as a survival gun. Maybe they still do, did at one time, or maybe never. Just something I had read and don't even remember where.

Claw, for sure!

Ace

Hey thanks.  I understood that, even.  Pretty soon I'll be able to talk the talk and hear the hear.  Here here.  I think it's a dirty trick for deer or bears or whatever to put on winter wear; you'd think they'd just go au naturel and play fair.  Dick's Sporting Goods has a pistol crossbow; that looked like fun.  As a kid I had a crossbow, as well as a sling and slingshots.  BB guns and pistols, too.  The pistols had no velocity though, dropping 10" in 15 feet.  And to the left.

When I golf is usually when I want to shoot something or someone, besides double bogeys.  I've only hit one person with a ball, and I apologized.  Still, he should've known not to stand besides the bushes off to the side way over there, when I'm aiming straight.  The maroon.  

Ace; my daddy was a pistol, I'm a son of a gun
Ring bells for service.

44mayg

Glad the info helped and you could understand it. I write that stuff off the top of my head, so I might not always get it to come out or convey the message the way I intend it to be. I'd really like to know what you decide on what to get.

I'd hoped others would have jumped in on the gun topic too. It's a fun subject, and with probably a lot of gun owners here, there could be some fun conversations, debates and stories.

Doesn't anyone else here own guns?

Guns are fun! :-)

ALWAYS HANDLE A FIREARM LIKE IT'S LOADED.

Ace

It was very concise and informative.  I am going to go to Home Depot this weekend and try to scope out hammers, and then work up from there.  Huh; I wonder if you need a scope, for a hammer.  I suppose if you're some distance away, it could help.

Shoot, I think bottle rockets are fun, if somebody forgets to let go.  You'd think a projectile that simple would be easy enough to learn.  We had a situation here where a 3rd grader brought a handgun to school.  Apparently pointed it at various kids... had the clip fall out and knew how to reinsert it.  Principal wrote a letter to let parents know "no one was in danger."  

Must be psychic.  Well, psycho.

The next week, a kid shows up at the same school with (just) bullets... Sorta makes you wonder if they were supposed to connect, and he got the date wrong.

Ace; I say "always handle a Jester like he's loaded."
Ring bells for service.

44mayg

You can probably get a scope for your hammer. Just make sure it's nitrogen filled.

That kid who took the gun to shcool should be slapped. Slapped hard! His parents should be double slapped hard for not teaching him to not touch a firearm unless an adult is present and it's handed to him by that adult.

Dude, don't play with guns!

scuzzy

ALWAYS HANDLE ACE LIKE HE'S LOADED.

That's what I always say. Or type. Even when Ace is empty, he can easily go off. I wouldn't point him at anything that I wasn't willing to destroy. Especially a computer. :o

Scuzzy; Ace should be placed in a Full Metal Jacket.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

44mayg

I don't think I, nor anyone else, should ever have to or want to handle Ace. Nobody. No one. He shouldn't be touched by humans.

I don't even want to be downwind with that aura about him, you know. Those feet. Like panda jam or something. Upwind. Waaaay upwind! With Ace filtering glasses too.

Never attempt to handle Ace. Just call animal control. They have nets and ropes and stuff.

But I will have more respect for him if he gets a Mark II and learns how to use it :-)

Ace

That would probably be the order I'd do it, too.  

Hey; what about the 22 that looks like a 45...?  Is that better or worse?  And is a rimfire basically same difference in production as a centerdealshooterthingy?

Ace; first thing I'm gonna do is look down the barrel to make sure it's clean.
Ring bells for service.

Mark H

The 45 will have much more punch than a 22.

Mark H

Ace

Well, yes.  The sledgehammer has more punch than the ballpeen.  

I was referring to the other line by Ruger (not the MarkII) that look like a 45 but are a 22.  Just wondered how that would work differently from the other configuration.

Ace; and that centerfire deal compared to rimfire.  I take it one nails the center of the cartridge and the other smacks the outer rim... same ammo?  same result?
Ring bells for service.

44mayg

OOPS: I was writing this at the same time you replied Ace, but I'm gonna leave it the way it is.

"Hey; what about the 22 that looks like a 45...?  Is that better or worse?  And is a rimfire basically same difference in production as a centerdealshooterthingy?"

Ace, I don't know which one you are referring to that looks like a .45, so I can't say if it's better or worse. (Than what?)

I'm not sure about your other question either, so I'll venture a guessed answer.

Rimfire and centerfire guns are pretty much the same in that they fire a bullet. Difference is, the firing pin in a rimfire hits the rim of the case. A centerfire hit's the primer in the center of the case.

Look down the barrel all you want. That's how you see if the barrel is clean. Just be sure it's unloaded first. If you don't and it goes off and hits you in the eye, be sure to tell us how it felt.

Some people use a bore light to light the inside of the barrel so they can see how clean it is. I use my fingernail held in the light, and pushed in behind the forcing cone. That's the start of the barrel where the bullet jumps from the cylinder to the barrel on a revolver.

Where the bullet exits is called the muzzle. Hence, the phrase "muzzle velocity", how fast the bullet is traveling after it exits the muzzle. (barrel)

Mark H

Before looking down the barrel of a gun, make sure of the following:

1. The clip is out of the gun or the revolver cylinder is out, whichever is the case.

2. There is no bullet in the chamber.

It is the bullet in the chamber that causes the most accidents as people think that removing the clip or pulling the cylinder out removes all the bullets. They forget about the one in the chamber. :o

Mark H

44mayg

OK Mark, I have to do a snicker on you about a technicality. Besides, you have to remember we're talking to Ace here and he might take it literally.

A bullet in the chamber has never hurt anyone. (As long as it stays in the chamber) It's when it leaves that chamber, via the muzzle, that people get hurt. Have accidents. Are injured. Damaged. Die.

If Ace was a caliber, he would probably be a .001 :-)

Mark H

Quote from: 44mayg on February 27, 2004, 22:32 hrs
OK Mark, I have to do a snicker on you about a technicality. Besides, you have to remember we're talking to Ace here and he might take it literally.

A bullet in the chamber has never hurt anyone. (As long as it stays in the chamber) It's when it leaves that chamber, via the muzzle, that people get hurt. Have accidents. Are injured. Damaged. Die.

If Ace was a caliber, he would probably be a .001 :-)

Yep, I forgot to mention the pin has to be impacted to get the bullet out of the chamber. I forget that I am talking to Ace and not normal children. With Ace, one has to bring it down to a different level of simplicity than if one is talking to children.

Mark H

44mayg

Yeah, I know what you mean about Ace.

He's still probably trying to figure out why a .45 auto has more power than a .22 or 9MM.

He probably thinks his Crossman pellet gun has more power than all three put together.

I can hear it now.

Ace: "Well, my 177 Crossman HAS to have more power. It's a much bigger number than a 22, 9 or 45....... even all three of those put together!"

If Ace was a bullet, his muzzle velocity would be 10 fps.

Ace

Well, perhaps I meant the 22/45 Rugers rather than the Mark II Rugers.  I have to have a Snicker's when I remember I need to talk like I'm talking to the toys of the children rather than directly to them.  Criminy.

Or to the houseplants where the toys were hidden.  Only you guys would actually debate the correct technique for looking down the barrel of a loaded gun.  

Thanks for the rimfire vs. centerline comparison, though.  I wondered if one was better by nature or if it really didn't matter.  Sounds like it doesn't matter.

ace; plays = fool.
Ring bells for service.

44mayg

That's OK Ace, but I hope you understand our comfooshun.

Just on the MKII page alone, there are like around 20 different models. So you did throw a stovepipe into our actions :-)

Since I know you know what a stovepipe is in firearms lingo, I won't bother you with a description.

"If Ace was a stovepipe, santa woudn't be able to fit down his chimney."

Ace

I know that you know that I know, and that's enough for me to know, that you know.

You know?

Ace; I guess that's where smokestack lightning comes from.
Ring bells for service.