• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

urgent!!! computer connect to internet then it.......

Started by Luigi, October 12, 2003, 15:32 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Luigi

this is urgent.my pc has a problem.when i connect to the internet, it connects but then when i open internet explorer it doesn't connect. it gives me the error message u get when u type in a non existent website i.e. "the page can not be opened. try to refresh or change ur lan settings.". i tried google and it said "internet explorer can not open the search page". i know the problem is not from my connection because i have tried aol and the same thing happens. it connects but it doesnt go through to show me websites. i have tried a new browser and it still doesnt go through. i have tried imesh and yahoomessenger when i am connected and it still doesnt go through. pls send me feed back. my pc is a win 98 (not second edition) pentium II.
talk 2 me

Luigi

huh????
so if it is my modem then what is the solution???
thats why i am here really. i want the solution if you can solve it without giving me the problem then no qualms but i just want the solution.
talk 2 me

query

Run a full spyware and antivirus check - there are quite a few common spyware programs and malware that will hijack your DNS settings, making connections impossible.

Mark H

Has this problem just started or is it a problem that has always been on this PC? If it has just started recently, it could be a problem with your modem as mentioned or it could be a problem with the service provider.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

IneXity

This happened to me awhile ago, I had comcast cable now I have verizon dsl which is 100 times better. What I did is called customer service and they told me to reset my modem so I did, and it wokred for a while but it started happening eveyrday, they never found a resolution so they gave me a new modem. It kept on happening so I just cancelled and went with verizon DSL. It never hapened again.

Mark H

Quote from: IneXity on October 12, 2003, 18:29 hrs
This happened to me awhile ago, I had comcast cable now I have verizon dsl which is 100 times better. What I did is called customer service and they told me to reset my modem so I did, and it wokred for a while but it started happening eveyrday, they never found a resolution so they gave me a new modem. It kept on happening so I just cancelled and went with verizon DSL. It never hapened again.

Your cable company did something wrong. I had the same problems, but they finally got resolved.

Mark H

Luigi

Am i missing something here?? i asked for solutions pls i dont need to know what the problem is. as for the spyware checki ran a full check and all i found was cydoor and imesh spyware so i still dont know what to do. i tried reseting my web settings but that didnt work either. so pls give me step by step solutions that i can try out l8er thanks
talk 2 me

Mark H

I still think it is your modem. Do you have another PC available with a modem that you can take out and put in your machine to try?

Mark H

scuzzy

Quote from: Luigi on October 13, 2003, 12:58 hrs
Am i missing something here?? i asked for solutions pls i dont need to know what the problem is.

Nice attitude, Luigi.

Okay people, nobody can place anything in this thread unless it is a solution to Luigi's problem. That includes me, so I'm out of here.

Luigi - I apologize for placing this message in here when it doesn't include a solution to your problem. However, once the solution is poasted we will be sending you a bill for services rendered. It shouldn't be too bad since we only charge $150.00 an hour, with a $75 minimum.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Mark H

Quote from: Scuzzy on October 13, 2003, 14:20 hrs

Nice attitude, Luigi.

For this very reason, I almost didn't even post a reply. But I did anyway, although it isn't a "proven solution."

Mark H

IneXity

Well actually my post was suggesting switching your isp. what is ur isp? if its comcast I just found out from 3 firends that they had the same prob. Try swicthing ur modem, if you have broadband the isp should give you a free one.

Neon

with the little info you have given, it sounds like your DNS settings are messed up, as query originally suggested. So get the proper settings from your ISP and make sure they are correctly entered. Your ISP likely has a detailed phone help, in addition to web pages that you can access from another machine. Make sure you eliminate the spyware before undertaking the changes.
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

Luigi

thankx guys sorry about the attitude. i was just p*ssed at the pc. i had to come over to school to find out what was going on. thanks though.
talk 2 me